Like Tree59Likes

India: Jammu & Kashmir

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Thanks for the video - I am so clueless at the moment about what has transpired other than the removal of the special status.

Despite trying to track the news yesterday, I don't have sufficient context to judge whether this is an awesome achievement or not, or whether this is a miscalulcated long held wish fulfillment with potentially explosive repercussions. But there are some very worrying aspects to how it was ushered in:

-Strong military force build-up in the state over the last few days
    - Widespread Curfew imposed
    - All tourists and pilgrims asked to leave the state
    -Total communications blackout in the state , with no TV, internet or mobile network
    - All key leaders placed under house arrest initially, and later put under full arrest (albeit at a government guesthouse), not sure what are the charges. This included 3 former chief-ministers of the state.
    - [1.5] hours of discussion in the parliament on such an issue. (not sure on this, as debate seemed to go on longer, but not more than a day)

Also this- anti-terror law (guilty until you prove yourself innocent).
    Mefisto and DrWho like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Apjace:

Despite trying to track the news yesterday, I don't have sufficient context to judge whether this is an awesome achievement or not, or whether this is a miscalulcated long held wish fulfillment with potentially explosive repercussions. But there are some very worrying aspects to how it was ushered in:

-Strong military force build-up in the state over the last few days
    - Widespread Curfew imposed
    - All tourists and pilgrims asked to leave the state
    -Total communications blackout in the state , with no TV, internet or mobile network
    - All key leaders placed under house arrest initially, and later put under full arrest (albeit at a government guesthouse), not sure what are the charges. This included 3 former chief-ministers of the state.
    - [1.5] hours of discussion in the parliament on such an issue. (not sure on this, as debate seemed to go on longer, but not more than a day)

Also this- anti-terror law (guilty until you prove yourself innocent).
    That looks seriously dubious to me (but I know fuck all about this apart from what I have seen in the media over the decades). So people who have considered themselves Pakistani citizens are told overnight they are not?

Just what we need - the threat of nuclear war between Indian and Pakistan.

Is Kashmir a viable state? What would the majority of Kashmiris choose if given the choice - preserve the status quo, independence or merge with either India or Pakistan?

The population is less than 13M - half of Nepal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM-5pipi2nc

Is Kashmir a viable state? What would the majority of Kashmiris choose if given the choice - preserve the status quo, independence or merge with either India or Pakistan?

Tricky question, given that many many Kashmiris including what was the persecuted 'Kashmiri Brahmin' have left the state and want nothing to do with the current state of the state.
    shafiq likes this.

Also, this ... you know it's bad when even technical traders who usually talk in bips and spreads and rates, look for war funding sources.

Name:  Screenshot 2019-08-07 at 7.50.21 AM.png
Views: 216
Size:  49.0 KB

shafiq likes this.

Minor correction: Demographics was always skewed but still, Kashmir was peaceful till 1980s. Pakistan started pushing in separatists elements after defeat in 1971 war. And the incumbent Congress committed grave mistakes in Kashmir elections of 1987, thereby, starting full-fledged separatist movements

shri, Apjace, shafiq and 1 others like this.

Modi is on a roll ... Talaq Talaq Talaq has been Talaqed.

So here's an interesting PRC reinterpretation of sovereignty: Beijing responds to New Delhi's new approach to Kashmir - "Recently India has continued to hurt Chinese sovereignty by unilaterally changing domestic law."

https://twitter.com/DrIanHall/status...60573888565248

Change in domestic law hurting Chinese Sovereignty ? Am I Missing a point here ?

Remember the reaction when Senkaku went from private to public ownership?

sunyhk likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast