Like Tree185Likes

Brexit Countdown - No Deal? Elections - Oct 15?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thisdress:
    Well that didn’t take very long

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/sta...495390208?s=20
    So basically the queen bent over for Boris?

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    You'll have to admit it was a great move though
    Don't give American Boris any ideas.
    junichitsuyo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    So basically the queen bent over for Boris?
    No, not quite. It would have been completely without precedent for the Queen to refuse the request.

So much I don’t know about the UK. I thought the Queen was only a figure head.

thisdress likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    No, not quite. It would have been completely without precedent for the Queen to refuse the request.
    You mean that such a request has been made and approved by the king / queen at that time?

Or is this like Carrie Lam, where her family and pension are held hostage?

Quote Originally Posted by jonastainine:
    So much I don’t know about the UK. I thought the Queen was only a figure head.
    She can technically say no, but in practice she never does. It’s been widely speculated that if she ever uses that power, it would immediately trigger reform to finally, totally end monarchy. So it’s like a single-use nuclear option for truly dire situations.

That said ... it happened so quickly one wonders whether she deliberated her options at all. I suppose deliberation is not what monarchs are known for.

Say, if we give her a piece of paper saying “I hereby take back Hong Kong,” do you think she might sign it?
    junichitsuyo and spode like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    You mean that such a request has been made and approved by the king / queen at that time?

Or is this like Carrie Lam, where her family and pension are held hostage?
    Basically the crown has retained some traditional and customary rights called the "royal prerogative" from a time when the king was still above all. Most of them are exercised by the government, through the crown today. It's not really possible for the queen to refuse a request by the executive branch, because she isn't the government.
    Historically the crown could dissolve parliament but since a change in law the crown can only suspend it.

Maybe @pin can explain it better
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I do think the EU is making leaving the EU too difficult so in effect reneging on it's own constitution which should allow states to leave.
    Uninformed Nonsense. It was Theresa May who decided that Brexit needs to follow certain red lines, not a single of which was even mentioned in the referendum. And those red lines are simply mandating that the UK gets the same status as, say, Canada. Barnier even made a beautiful chart for people who don’t like to read: https://cdn.japantimes.2xx.jp/wp-con...a-20181117.jpg

The backstop, meanwhile, exists only because the UK signed the Good Friday agreement which says “no border”. All that the backstop does is saying “you have to stay until you’ve shown us how to square the circle”. And Boris is saying “no need for such rules, I _can_ square the circle”. Nuh uh.

The big joke is that Boris hasn’t even bothered to say what rules he wants. Even if you’d roofie the entire European Commission, there isn’t anything on the table for them to agree to. Pathetic.
    shri, hullexile and Baklava like this.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    Uninformed Nonsense. It was Theresa May who decided that Brexit needs to follow certain red lines, not a single of which was even mentioned in the referendum. And those red lines are simply mandating that the UK gets the same status as, say, Canada. Barnier even made a beautiful chart for people who don’t like to read: https://cdn.japantimes.2xx.jp/wp-con...a-20181117.jpg
    There was a vote and the majority voted to leave the EU. This was a bold result as clearly it was a vote with a lot of unknowns for the future.

The backstop, meanwhile, exists only because the UK signed the Good Friday agreement which says “no border”. All that the backstop does is saying “you have to stay until you’ve shown us how to square the circle”. And Boris is saying “no need for such rules, I _can_ square the circle”. Nuh uh.
    By far the trade between the rest of the UK and Northern Ireland is more economically important. Putting and economic and regulatory border down the Irish is in my opinion just as much against the GFA.

The big joke is that Boris hasn’t even bothered to say what rules he wants. Even if you’d roofie the entire European Commission, there isn’t anything on the table for them to agree to. Pathetic.
    If you think it is not possible to have functioning alternative arrangements with the co-operation on both sides I suspect you will always think it is not possible. There will be a 2-5 year transition period in the case of a deal and regulatory alignment on fresh food products and almost certainly most other products that require CE marking. Small traders that are VAT exempt (those that currently don't fill in export docs) will be exempt, large companies will be audited and be exempt. That leaves middle size businesses thet will need customs auditing at source or destination. It sounds possible but more expensice than a hard border but needs political will for enforcement co-operation.

The UK have said they wont put up a hard border but the EU have not.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    There was a vote and the majority voted to leave the EU. This was a bold result as clearly it was a vote with a lot of unknowns for the future.

By far the trade between the rest of the UK and Northern Ireland is more economically important. Putting and economic and regulatory border down the Irish is in my opinion just as much against the GFA.

If you think it is not possible to have functioning alternative arrangements with the co-operation on both sides I suspect you will always think it is not possible. There will be a 2-5 year transition period in the case of a deal and regulatory alignment on fresh food products and almost certainly most other products that require CE marking. Small traders that are VAT exempt (those that currently don't fill in export docs) will be exempt, large companies will be audited and be exempt. That leaves middle size businesses thet will need customs auditing at source or destination. It sounds possible but more expensice than a hard border but needs political will for enforcement co-operation.

The UK have said they wont put up a hard border but the EU have not.
    You always blame the EU and have been very consistent on that. The responsibility lies with the Conservative and Unionist Party who have failed to put up an alternative. They have had three years to do so and have failed in this basic requirement. Completely incompetent and have damaged the country beyond repair in my opinion.

I would love to know your connection to the Party. I am totally convinced there is one.

Supporting Boris in this antidemocratic move and we might have to call you the "pro authoritarian poster"

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast