Like Tree84Likes

Ghosn ... what happened?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond
    Asian countries are notorious for how opaque their laws, governance and processes are. And then we get to enforcement of such. I believe Japan will be the most difficult place in Asia to navigate through. Followed by Korea and China.
    Don't agree - Singapore and HK laws both follow UK conventions, and are fair and transparent. You might not agree with the punishment metted out (eg caning in Singapore) but it's their country their laws.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs
    Singapore laws follow UK conventions, and are fair and transparent. You might not agree with the punishment metted out (eg caning in Singapore) but it's their country their laws.
    Err.. have u seen how they
    1. set the law
    2. appoint the judges
    3. interpret the law according to the situation

not sure how you call that fair and square..
    drawing analogy, the japanese can say their law is fair and transparent as well, just interpreted in their own internal ways...
    CharSiuNow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Op/Ed From Ex-Prosecutor: Ghosn must respect Japanese Justice Statistics – Japan Subculture Research Center
    It is most regrettable that Carlos Ghosn, the convicted criminal, former CEO of Nissan has cowardly chosen to escape from Japan rather than face a fair trial and inevitable conviction in Japan’s prestigious courts. This is very disruptive of our justice system and the prosecutor conviction statistics.
    I lol'ed

Edit: it took me a couple to paragraphs to appreciate the full sarcasm, but this guy is brilliant. I think I'll spend this quiet morning reading a couple more of his blogs, he is good.
    Last edited by CharSiuNow; 02-01-2020 at 10:49 AM.
    shri likes this.

er2

Quote Originally Posted by freeier
    Err.. have u seen how they
    1. set the law
    2. appoint the judges
    3. interpret the law according to the situation

not sure how you call that fair and square..
    drawing analogy, the japanese can say their law is fair and transparent as well, just interpreted in their own internal ways...
    Without mentioning a single example...

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy
    Three questions I want to know.

1.The Renault-Nissan alliance. Nissan will do fine. The hard work Ghosn made in his years there has put the automaker on a firm footing. The question is what of it's alliance with Renault? This alliance is not a merger as I understand it, but a cross-sharing arrangement with Ghosn holding everything together. With him gone, the future stability of this alliance is a big question mark. After all, there are rumours of Ghosn's removal not simply because of the crime he alleged to have committed, but because the Japanese did not like his ideas about the future plans of the alliance. And what about the French? Are they willing to continue an alliance when the Japanese threw their guy under the bus? And also don't forget Mitsubishi, arguably the weakest Japanese automaker. It was struggling and likely would have gone bankrupt had Nissan not bought a controlling share of the company in 2016.
    Nissan is NOT doing fine. Ghosn sought market share and some of the methods used to gain market share have come back to bite Nissan in the backside (i.e. selling many units as fleet vehicles thus devaluing resale for private owners, offering financial incentives, etc)

https://jalopnik.com/nissan-is-absol...les-1839799530

https://jalopnik.com/nissan-wants-to...t-t-1840312941

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/videon...29739-fnn-soci

According to the Japanese lawyer, there is a chance that even his daughter didn't know about his escape

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy
    He overstayed his welcome and the Japanese manufactured a plan to get rid of him. Simple as that. No question he turned around Nissan, but even a business genius like Ghosn is expendable.
    Give the guy some credit for engineering his escape. He is a smart fella. Even when he turned Nissan business around only to be backstabbed by his partners.
    Coolboy, Skyhook and Mrs. Jones like this.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast