Like Tree84Likes

Ghosn ... what happened?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Ghosn ... what happened?

Quite sure there will be some fall out from Ghosn's "escape from Tokyo".

Should be an interesting story to follow over the next few days.

Ghosn — who holds both French and Lebanese citizenship — has been under strict restrictions from the court, so there is speculation around how the former CEO was able to leave Japan.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/30/b...non/index.html
    junichitsuyo and AsianXpat0 like this.

From NYT

The case against Mr. Ghosn has garnered international attention and raised questions about the fairness of Japan’s justice system. Lawyers for the former executive say they have been unable to see reams of information Japanese prosecutors gathered from Nissan to build their case against Mr. Ghosn. Prosecutors, in turn, have argued that they are prevented from sharing some of the material the company gave them because it is “too sensitive.”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/30/b...eft-japan.html

Wow.

I was just reading about his "detention" in Japan. He was shadowed everywhere he went, so it is a big surprise to learn he had left from reading this thread.

Guess this was the grand plan and makes for some old fashioned politicking.

He overstayed his welcome and the Japanese manufactured a plan to get rid of him. Simple as that. No question he turned around Nissan, but even a business genius like Ghosn is expendable.

A buddy movie in the making. Possibly a Jackie Chan movie?

https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status...20994513391617

Some serious egg on faces here. No question in my mind he was guilty, but the way he was treated here stinks to high heaven.

Every party looks bad in this - Ghosn, Nissan, Tokyo prosectors, whichever Keystone Cops let one of the most recognisable men in Japan fly away.... muppetry all around. This case has shone a light on the extreme powers of prosectors to detain anyone without charge for months on end - not many developed countries have a similar system, thank God.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Some serious egg on faces here. No question in my mind he was guilty, but the way he was treated here stinks to high heaven.

Every party looks bad in this - Ghosn, Nissan, Tokyo prosectors, whichever Keystone Cops let one of the most recognisable men in Japan fly away.... muppetry all around. This case has shone a light on the extreme powers of prosectors to detain anyone without charge for months on end - not many developed countries have a similar system, thank God.
    Asian countries are notorious for how opaque their laws, governance and processes are. And then we get to enforcement of such. I believe Japan will be the most difficult place in Asia to navigate through. Followed by Korea and China.

Yeah, in a Japanese company, you will always be the gaijin, no matter how much of the language you learn, how much you try to fit in, this is why HK is very refreshing to me, a much more open society.

I am sure there are many more Japanese executives with "financial irregularities" that are not prosecuted...

Anyway, he got out in a private plane so, yeah, pretty sure you can manage that without a passport and in the middle of the night...good for him. Something like a 99.7 percent conviction rate (not sure if that includes the many "confessions" that are extracted).

Coolboy and imparanoic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Smells like a set-up to me. No way some guy who can't read or speak Japanese can manage to get around the 8 layers of financial controls and auditing Nissan has.

Also pretty telling that Saikawa, who was accused of the same crime, wasn't arrested and was allowed to pay back the money he allegedly received too much.
    Coolboy and huja like this.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast