• 4 Post By East_coast
  • 6 Post By hullexile
  • 1 Post By Peaky
  • 5 Post By Coolboy
  • 2 Post By Cminds
  • 2 Post By Sith

Working from home - Does your employer check on your mental health

Working from home - Does your employer check on your mental health

A few on here are working from home. It can be stressful.

Name:  Working-from-Home-600x482.png
Views: 858
Size:  288.9 KB

Does your employer ask how it's going?

Coolboy, shri, reprazent and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:

Name:  Working-from-Home-600x482.png
Views: 858
Size:  288.9 KB

Do most employers care about your mental health at work?
    Aramis, jimbo, CChups111 and 3 others like this.

There was very little when it was just an HK/China issue, although our division did do some nice home exercise videos etc in lieu of some of the stuff that would otherwise be organised at the gym or event space at the office.

Now that UK are locked down there's a raft of senior management calls and increasing focus on various health themes. But still as ever the preferred corporate answer to any people issue is "tell your manager".

East_coast likes this.

Maybe the better question is, do you really want your employer to know about your mental health...

Last edited by Coolboy; 29-03-2020 at 09:39 PM.
    jwyl, hannah01, Andy SNK and 2 others like this.

And what's causing the mental health issues? Personal relationships? Loneliness? Lack of close friends? Personal financial issues? Unresolved issues from the past? Or is it your actual job that's causing the mental health issues because you don't like the company/boss/colleagues? Or because you don't like the work you're doing and would prefer to be doing something else? Is it because of the way of life in HK? Is it that you'd prefer to be somewhere else? Is it a combination of some or all of these things? How would an employer help you with these complex issues? yes, they might care deeply or only superficially but ultimately they want you to perform your job so that they can achieve their business goals or whatever.
    Like most people, I've been through all of the above and more and it hurts like Hell and causes confusion and depression that can lead to bad decisions being made. Though not all the decisions are bad. The trouble is, as adults, only we can make these dictions for ourselves. It's difficult to get good advice, even from people who care about us because they see things (and us) through the prism of their own prejudices just as an employer is likely to do. I guess that's why unbiased therapists are often recommended.
    To my financial detriment I've generally always based my decisions on my state of happiness or discontent. I've never stuck at something because it's a good earner because I simply never wanted to be using up finite time on something I detested. Others are more tolerant and perhaps sensible than me and have to decide for themselves whether it was all worth it.
    One thing I do know is that the emotional support of a partner/spouse who is your greatest friend makes things a lot easier.
    the other thing I know is that none of the above is meant as advice because my circumstances are specific to me and my own madness and everyone has to try and find their own equilibrium.
    I'm also convince that many employers really don't give a shit and that much of what we see regarding health and safety and mental health issues relates to a perceived need to meet regulatory requirements as part of risk management processes and the corporate social responsibility cliches on their websites is a shallow attempt to appear virtuous because everyone else is doing the same.
    Let's hope that this current global catastrophe allows us all to take a closer look at our own personal weaknesses and at what we really value and care about. It might improve mental health issues for quite a few of us.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:

Given that I am a manager, I've taken the opportunity to ask around in my teams. It's a good question with some interesting answers, so far. Thanks

Hong Kong employers caring about employees mental health?? Haha thanks for the laugh, my mental health is a little bit better now.

hannah01 and Ellenna like this.

In our firm they haven’t asked people about their mental health but HR does send out an email on a weekly basis about mental health (I guess it’s about what they can do, Don’t read the emails so not sure what exactly is said) but they remind people that there is a “hotline” they can call to speak to someone professional (privately/anonymous) if there is a need.

markranson and East_coast like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cminds:
    Hong Kong employers caring about employees mental health?? Haha thanks for the laugh, my mental health is a little bit better now.
    Having never worked elsewhere (except here in HK) in my life, the question sounds so out of this planet, really (not meant to sound offensive) !!!!!

And the question needs a proper applause.

If anyone of you are employers here please (over)think about it carefully.