Like Tree17Likes

16+ DEAD in Canada's worst mass shooting

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    RCMP confirmed he didn't own it legally. He didn't have a license in Canada. They haven't made the type of weapon public yet, but you can bet they would have already if it were an "assault type" weapon.
    I suspect they were bought legally at some point

Original Post Deleted
    I guess these were bought legally but kept in an unsafe manner. Most guns are at some point bought legally.

Original Post Deleted
    Given that his first target was his ex-girlfriend and those in proximity to her, I think the initial suspicion of this being related to their interpersonal issues (ie: his jealously or something) has reasonable basis. Sounds like he wanted to kill her, knew his life would be over, and wanted to take as many lives on the way out.

Disgusting behaviour. Apparently the worst mass shooting in Canadian history.

Apparently he had a kill list.

Original Post Deleted
    In Canada an AR15 is semi-automatic and limited to 5 round magazines. No different than any other rifle. It's also a restricted weapon only to be used at a shooting range, can't even go hunting with it. Plenty of shooting sports like IPSC or 3-Gun require something like that. Canada doesn't have the same gun control problems as the US, but the media always makes it seem as if.

In my opinion, there isn't much that can be done to stop nutcases like this to do damage apart perhaps from not splattering it through the media allowing them the infamy they are seeking. They will find ways to do what they are looking to do. That being said, it doesn't mean we have to make it easy for them.

In my opinions, guns should not be used as toys for boys. There are way more downsides than benefits to developed societies in allowing people to own weapons such as AR 15. In a country like Canada, the only weapons that should be available should be hunting rifles, people should be vetted, attend a firearm course and the weapons registered. I can't understand why any law abiding citizen could object to vetting, training and registration. We do it for people that drive cars so it's insane not to do it for people wanting to use guns.

Sage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    In a country like Canada, the only weapons that should be available should be hunting rifles, people should be vetted, attend a firearm course and the weapons registered. I can't understand why any law abiding citizen could object to vetting, training and registration. We do it for people that drive cars so it's insane not to do it for people wanting to use guns.
    That is exactly how gun ownership works in Canada. You need to have taken a firearms course and have passed a RCMP background check to obtain a license in order to own a rifle or shotgun. Handguns and AR15 need a separate license for restricted firearms and must be registered with the RCMP. Restricted firearms (including handguns) can only be used at shooting ranges and can't be used for hunting. You also need a separate authorization to transport to be able to move them between your home and the shooting range.

There is only ONE! person authorized to carry a gun for protection in all of Canada. Nobody else is allowed to carry a handgun in public unless it is for a job like armored transport.

https://dennisryoung.ca/2019/05/02/r...-carry-permit/
    Last edited by mrgoodkat; 24-04-2020 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    That is exactly how gun ownership works in Canada. You need to have taken a firearms course and have passed a RCMP background check to obtain a license in order to own a rifle or shotgun. Handguns and AR15 need a separate license for restricted firearms and must be registered with the RCMP. Restricted firearms (including handguns) can only be used at shooting ranges and can't be used for hunting. You also need a separate authorization to transport to be able to move them between your home and the shooting range.
    It is not exactly as I stated. Non restricted firearms are not registered and furthermore can be sold by private owners to anyone which means it's easy to bypass the license requirements.

On top of it, as I said, I don't see the use of allowing civilians to own restricted weapons such as the AR-15 or handguns regardless of the process. Fortunately, that's a very small number of people in Canada.
    Sage likes this.

The police suggested a police led enquiry. The public demanded a public enquiry.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7224747/n...mass-shooting/

Cornmeal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    The police suggested a police led enquiry. The public demanded a public enquiry.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7224747/n...mass-shooting/
    Serious and reasonable questions as to why they didn't use the province's emergency response system instead of Twitter.
    shri likes this.