Like Tree46Likes

Trump Vs. China - Live Presser

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    What does Trump have to lose? The presidency! History has shown that being behind in the polls doesn't mean defeat. I think that tough talks against China will appeal to his base but actions that could hurt the US economy will not. Sanctions applied this week could also be taken away as soon as the next president sits. China is obviously banking on that logic. I don't discard that Trump might follow up with small sanctions as a shot across the bow just as a warning that they are paying attention but They've already been at odds for over a year now so I don't see any radical changes, it's a political game, HK is one small piece and it's being toyed with at the moment. Neither side will win or lose anytime soon...
    Your scenario is quite possible. But here's an alternative to consider: you are using conventional logic that may apply to any other political leader. But Trump is not a conventional political leader, for better or worse (mostly worse). The trade deal Trump made is already in serious doubt because China has not been buying anything close to the amount agreed. Getting rid of it does not hurt Trump either way. He can spin it in anyway he wants. The farmers, a solid Trump bloc, will simply drink his kool aid. And with the coronavirus, the Chinese economy is in no better shape than the US. China does not have the leverage over Trump that Beijing thinks it has. Trump is being attacked for being, interestingly enough, soft on China. He has every incentive to hit China hard.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 31-05-2020 at 06:59 PM.

You actually believed that?

Trump ordering elimination of special treatment for Hong Kong

I have no idea what it means. Will it directly affect US companies like Apple and Disney who are doing business in Hong Kong in a negative way?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6