Like Tree25Likes

John Oliver - Police - 7th June Episode..

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Will watch it tonight.

One thing that gets me about the likes of John Oliver is that he can have a platform and audience and be FUNNY precisely because he is white, male, and to Americans, has a charming educated British accent. People of other races or backgrounds, looking as ugly as he is (albeit he's skinny, not fat), would never have a chance to entrance an audience on an international stage like he does...
    Errrr Trevor Noah?

Edit - ha i shoud read replies before posting.

Steve Harvey and Nick Cannon are two black males that have been given large TV gigs.

Just watched this episode, what struck me was how restrained the US cops were when dealing with the protesters compared to what we see in HK.

Compare how hk cops respond to mostly peaceful protesters (a couple thousand rounds of teargas) while in the us looters(not saying everyone is a looter, but I seen much more looting in the us protests so far than I saw in all of 2019 in hk) barely warrant a handful of tg rounds.

Last edited by henkka; 09-06-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    First thing that popped into my head was also "Trevor Noah" and his recent routines about cops and race.

I do find John Oliver to be funnier though simply from the style of humour (he's better at pointing out of the absurdity of situations and relies less on aural gags).
    Hasan Minhaj, also hailing from the Daily Show, has his Patriot Act and Goatface shows.

Took me a while to get past the snarky sarcastic delivery (similar to Sam B's), he does well researched topics not unlike Oliver and both PA and the sketches on Goatface cover plenty of political and cultural issues.

'Frosted Greggs' is a particularity hilarious sketch IMO.
    Last edited by Cornmeal; 09-06-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by henkka:
    Just watched this episode, what struck me was how restrained the US cops were when dealing with the protesters compared to what we see in HK.

Compare how hk cops respond to mostly peaceful protesters (a couple thousand rounds of teargas) while in the us looters(not saying everyone is a looter, but I seen much more looting in the us protests so far than I saw in all of 2019 in hk) barely warrant a handful of tg rounds.
    well.. seems like the word "restrained" means quite differently from different eyes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpXXUC623ow

No doubt HK police were firing tear gas absolutely idiotically, irresponsibly, inhumanely etc. for months, but I wouldn't call it 'brutality' in the same sense (other than in the instances where they were clearly trying to hit people directly with the canisters).

US police demonstrated just how out of control they are with the repeated instances of attacking mainstream news crews... They feel untouchable, as evidenced by the cop staring straight down the camera while committing murder. Meanwhile for the most part tens / hundreds of HK amateur 'press' were substantially left alone to film during most of the trouble here. Really bad behaviour from HK police mainly happened when emboldened with anonymity of no serial numbers, masks, and plenty smoke for cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy SNK:
    well.. seems like the word "restrained" means quite differently from different eyes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpXXUC623ow
    So, didn't really see anything in your video either to change my opinion.

The stuff I seen on twitter, NYT, FT, etc., all seem to be a little bit of pepper spray, a few rounds of pepper balls but nothing on the scale we've seen in HK.

I haven't really seen any video online either of non-protestors being caught up in it all the same way in HK you often saw pictures of some random old guy caught up in a TG salvo, or parents with small kids running for cover..

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    No doubt HK police were firing tear gas absolutely idiotically, irresponsibly, inhumanely etc. for months, but I wouldn't call it 'brutality' in the same sense (other than in the instances where they were clearly trying to hit people directly with the canisters).

US police demonstrated just how out of control they are with the repeated instances of attacking mainstream news crews... They feel untouchable, as evidenced by the cop staring straight down the camera while committing murder. Meanwhile for the most part tens / hundreds of HK amateur 'press' were substantially left alone to film during most of the trouble here. Really bad behaviour from HK police mainly happened when emboldened with anonymity of no serial numbers, masks, and plenty smoke for cover.
    What are you talking about? There were multiple and quite well documented instances of reporters being targeted in HK. And in HK, the reporters tended to wear hi-vis vests and were very, conspicuous. Unlike the US instances I've seen where it's some person wearing normal clothes and some dinky "press" lanyard.
    DennisMilano likes this.

The nature of the job will always attract a number of characters that are fueled by a bit too much testosterone and let's face it, the best and the brightest don't tend to look for careers in law enforcement. That being said, having proper oversight from outside the police and as was indicated in the video trying to involve different kinds of actors in different situations will help. There's been plenty of violence in both HK and the US and praising one over the other is simply silly. One major difference is that there is oversight in the US and there are people with different levels of political power that are watching and trying to do something. In HK...nada, no oversight, no one with power cares about what the police is doing.

Obviously these types of riots are nothing new in the US and the blacks have been suffering from centuries of abuse. I'd like to think it is getting better but you have to be blind not to think there's a way to go. I expect a commission will be formed(again) with similar recommendations as the previous commissions but at the end of the day, as long as there's massive poverty, ghettos, gangs and a warrior culture in the police forces, we won't see great changes and if by some miracle Trump gets reelected then I expect no change and a worsening of race relations.

As one of the comments on the YouTube thread writes - We used to listen to politicians for truth & guidance and to comedians for a laugh, but now we listen to ‘comedians’ for truth & guidance and the ‘politicans’ act as clowns...

juanalias likes this.