Like Tree25Likes

John Oliver - Police - 7th June Episode..

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

John Oliver - Police - 7th June Episode..

Seriously worth a watch...

https://youtu.be/Wf4cea5oObY

Answers the question- what would happen if the HK protests happened in America? Yeah, about the same as HK...

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Answers the question- what would happen if the HK protests happened in America? Yeah, about the same as HK...
    Worth watching the segment about defunding the police at the 26 minute mark.

The fact that there are platforms which are sort of immune to govt shenanigans is what is... Slightly different

Will watch it tonight.

One thing that gets me about the likes of John Oliver is that he can have a platform and audience and be FUNNY precisely because he is white, male, and to Americans, has a charming educated British accent. People of other races or backgrounds, looking as ugly as he is (albeit he's skinny, not fat), would never have a chance to entrance an audience on an international stage like he does...

muzzdang likes this.

I was stopped for "driving while black" once in Baltimore. I still had New York license plates and, for whatever reason, people outside of NY think most of NY is black...not even close, it was 65 percent white in the last Census and in 1986 when it happened to me, was likely over 70 percent white. So it was early morning, still dark, I was delivering the Baltimore Sun having just dropped out of graduate school and looking for a job. Pretty sure I was in a black neighborhood, I delivered the papers in a mostly black, middle class neighborhood. One of my headlights was out, which I did not know, and I was pulled over by the police. They said to me that they thought I would be black (!!) and gave me a warning (not even a formal warning) and off I went. Gave the 22-year-old me an insight into what black and brown people put up with...they felt they could share their reasons with my white self...cops were white...

Coolboy and chuckster007 like this.

There's Trevor Noah no? He's been great since settling in to his job, though I do remember the brouhaha when he first got the job. The other comedians (And I assume the writers) all seem pretty diverse too between age, sex, race etc.

Otherwise, agree...Seth, the two Jimmy's, Corden etc. all white guys. Sam Bee has her own show too.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Will watch it tonight.

One thing that gets me about the likes of John Oliver is that he can have a platform and audience and be FUNNY precisely because he is white, male, and to Americans, has a charming educated British accent. People of other races or backgrounds, looking as ugly as he is (albeit he's skinny, not fat), would never have a chance to entrance an audience on an international stage like he does...

Will watch it tonight.

If this is the case how come Oprah did so well as a talk show host.

Original Post Deleted
    Do you have any more insights than this? I thought that episode made a lot of sense. I too like the way his wit manages to bring topical issues into sharp focus.

Yeah, Last Week tonight, and Trevor Noah's monologues (not necessarily the daily show) are very informative

Will watch it tonight.

First thing that popped into my head was also "Trevor Noah" and his recent routines about cops and race.

I do find John Oliver to be funnier though simply from the style of humour (he's better at pointing out of the absurdity of situations and relies less on aural gags).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast