Like Tree9Likes

Contact Tracing - Singapore Style

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    You quit rightly stated the HK people don't trust the Chinese Gov.
    I am sure you know the national security law proposed in hk is just but a subset of what is already been implemented in singapore for the last 50 years right ... and its not a legacy law, but one that is being used quite regularly even last few years...

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...for-supporting
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    It's actually pretty decent an initiative. BT handshakes are pretty indicative of physical proximity - main reason the app failed is that Apple doesn't let background apps do handshakes. And iphones are probably 50% of the market here
    any it needs to do a handshake because?

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    I am sure you know the national security law proposed in hk is just but a subset of what is already been implemented in singapore for the last 50 years right ... and its not a legacy law, but one that is being used quite regularly even last few years...

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...for-supporting
    But it is missing good clean governance that Singapore has built it's reputation on. Yes it has draconian laws and does push the limit sometimes but it isn't known for abitary application of laws. Also the current administration could lose an election if they don't perform OK. Given the CCP have rolled back democracy the two can't be compared.
    alexdown and jrkob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    @freeier - I do like how Balakrishnan explained it yesterday ... Regardless of politics and policies, having a good speaker who is passionate is important.

He is now my second favorite Indian in Singapore after the DBS CEO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlMCiLUvV7s
    I am surprised Tharman is not your favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    But it is missing good clean governance that Singapore has built it's reputation on. Yes it has draconian laws and does push the limit sometimes but it isn't known for abitary application of laws. Also the current administration could lose an election if they don't perform OK. Given the CCP have rolled back democracy the two can't be compared.
    if you have all the rights to set the law, why do you need arbitrary application of law... you can set one that kills all blue eye boys, and that would be good law (this is the commonest example given in common law studies)...

BTW the common law is one that has alot of arbitrary, non-codified and conflicting decisions, or at least that's what all my text books and lecturers say, does that mean it is also in the same category as arbitrary application of law ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeky Kiwi:
    I am surprised Tharman is not your favourite.
    I don't follow Singapore politics.

if you have all the rights to set the law, why do you need arbitrary application of law... you can set one that kills all blue eye boys, and that would be good law (this is the commonest example given in common law studies)...

BTW the common law is one that has alot of arbitrary, non-codified and conflicting decisions, or at least that's what all my text books and lecturers say, does that mean it is also in the same category as arbitrary application of law ?
    You mean like China?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=UN+Working+Gro...ese+Government

He is now my second favorite Indian in Singapore after the DBS CEO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlMCiLUvV7s
    You never heard Tharman speak?

(Ok, apparently I was late to the party - saw the Kiwi post. Still, look for him on Youtube.)
    shri likes this.

It's not that simple. It makes a difference whether a government uses a law for a purpose that is overwhelmingly endorsed by the populace (religious extremism, racial intolerance etc) or if it is used arbitrarily to punish dissidents. There are loads of issues in Singapore (the way districts voting for the opposition are punished being the most egregious political one, imho), but the national security laws are a no-brainer in peoples minds. You can talk crap about Ah Loong all day if you want - things have eased up since the old man passed away.

Are you ok? You seem to be channeling some other posters today.
    Yes. Singapore is the exception that proves the rule that dictatorships are bad for society.