Like Tree86Likes

Indo Chinese Border: Several Soldiers Killed..

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    I think you need to calm down. I understood your points, I am simply saying you also need to acknowledge rising nationalism in India will make de-escalation more difficult. But if you insist on talking about Kashmir, ok I will disagree on this, I don't think Modi really needs China's support on Kashmir. His stripping of autonomy from Kashmir was done over vocal objections of China. He clearly is ignoring China over Kashmir. And Akasi Chin, long occupied by China, is considered part of Jammu and Kashmir by India. So I don't see how Modi relied on or can obtain strategic support from China over Kashmir.

I don't think China cares much about having allies, they're in their century of world domination. For the CCP it's only a matter of time who is the next target. I don't think it will get to a war between them but then it's 2020 so we're not done yet!

Original Post Deleted
    No, I'm not missing the point, we have a disagreement which you seem very worked up over. Instead of getting over-emotional I suggest we stick to the issue. China does not want to come in and rescue Pakistan if another full-scale conflict breaks out over Kashmir. But that does not mean China won't do anything about it if one party to the disputed region unilaterally changed its status. China was explicit in its criticism over the unilateral change of status of Kashmir. They said so in no uncertain terms:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...-idUSKBN1XA0M9

So I don't see how China will "give strategic support" to India.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    I don't think China cares much about having allies, they're in their century of world domination. For the CCP it's only a matter of time who is the next target. I don't think it will get to a war between them but then it's 2020 so we're not done yet!
    I think it's more of a wounded animal kind of thing and less world domination. They can't even dominate their own country and economy properly. The "Chinese century" is over, the only hold out on the idea seems to be Germany.
    bluewhite likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    This is not about winning, just sharing of different opinions. I hate it when disagreements always get so personal on geoexpat, as if its some personal insult to the dignity or respect of the other poster. That's not my intention here. I like many of your posts, my disagreement is not meant as an affront to you personally.

That lament also goes to the Sino-Indian relations. Its sad how political disagreement between the two countries have coloured both countries' perception of one another. Modern relations are obviously poor because of the border dispute, the 1962 war and China's support of Pakistan, but the relations between the two countries weren't always so terrible. I'm not just talking about the brief "honeymoon" period between the PRC and the then newly independent India in the 1950's. I'm going back way longer in history.

There were deep cultural exchanges between the two countries and India in fact strongly influenced Chinese culture. The spread of Buddhism to China, the spread of the pagoda, which was originally the Indian stupa, to China and the rest of East Asia. Even Chinese popular works like Journey to the West, its central protagonist, the monkey king Sun Wukong, was influenced by Hanuman and the Indian epic of Ramayana. As was the folk Chinese deity Nezha, he was influenced by Nalakubar from Ramayana. The legendary founder of the famous Shaolin kungfu was said to be an Indian monk named Bodhidharma (Da Mo). As was the concept of karma in Chinese society. Even today, some bollywood movies are popular in China.

I just find it sad that modern relations is so poor now between India and China due to the political disagreements when it once was much more enriching.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 17-06-2020 at 05:42 PM.
    Jaz Paul and garychopper like this.

shri and Coolboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    What will the Xi JinPing era be called?

The Great Regression?
    The Pooh Years.
    East_coast and Jaz Paul like this.

[QUOTE=East_coast;3729702]Do we really need moving pictures to gawp at?

This reports suggests the Chinese side didn't follow an agreed deescalation plan and the when the fighting started were the first to break out the clubs - with nails in them. I am sure more sides of the story will come out but it does sound a little premeditated having supposedly un-armed soldiers ready with makeshift weapons.

The source and reliability of reports from both sides is sceptical. Too early to really know.

Last edited by ArrynField; 17-06-2020 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    This is not about winning, just sharing of different opinions. I hate it when disagreements always get so personal on geoexpat, as if its some personal insult to the dignity or respect of the other poster. That's not my intention here. I like many of your posts, my disagreement is not meant as an affront to you personally.

That lament also goes to the Sino-Indian relations. Its sad how political disagreement between the two countries have coloured both countries' perception of one another. Modern relations are obviously poor because of the border dispute, the 1962 war and China's support of Pakistan, but the relations between the two countries weren't always so terrible. I'm not just talking about the brief "honeymoon" period between the PRC and the then newly independent India in the 1950's. I'm going back way longer in history.

There were deep cultural exchanges between the two countries and India in fact strongly influenced Chinese culture. The spread of Buddhism to China, the spread of the pagoda, which was originally the Indian stupa, to China and the rest of East Asia. Even Chinese popular works like Journey to the West, its central protagonist, the monkey king Sun Wukong, was influenced by Hanuman and the Indian epic of Ramayana. As was the folk Chinese deity Nezha, he was influenced by Nalakubar from Ramayana. The legendary founder of the famous Shaolin kungfu was said to be an Indian monk named Bodhidharma (Da Mo). As was the concept of karma in Chinese society. Even today, some bollywood movies are popular in China.

I just find it sad that modern relations is so poor now between India and China due to the political disagreements when it once was much more enriching.
    What I feel is that this time China is in deep trouble due to Corona and economic wars ... It needs an air of nationalism more than India. Hence, this unnecessary build-up of troops and completely avoidable fights.

If China was so against change of Kashmir status, it would've done something then only. Not in the middle of a pandemic.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast