Like Tree115Likes

Covid-19 - Global News - July 2020

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Chinese study has similar results
    Good to see sound research painting a fuller picture of reality.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Anti-maskers in FL (this is from a month ago before they were pulling in over 10k positive cases per day). Lots of religious justification, apparently God doesn't want you to wear a mask, who knew?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=433b5RJ9BME
    Thanks for posting this. Reverse culture shock isn't easy to deal with and I appreciate the help processing it, no matter how hard it may be.

I can understand their way of thinking now. Masks today, vaccine tomorrow, contact tags the day after. Better take the deaths than the slippery slope. At least I can finally understand it now. I hope I can see more videos helping me to understand other cultures in the world that seem bonkers. (hint, hint, you know who!)

Thank goodness I'm not living those places anymore!

That said, HK cases are rising and we're already wearing masks

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueUserName:
    That said, HK cases are rising and we're already wearing masks
    I feel that the idiotic debate about masks has taken away the focus on the fact that it's not the end all be all measure that 100% protects the population. It's only one link in a chain of measures and they have to be worn and managed properly to have some effectiveness. HK has done well with mask use but not so well with social distancing and even worse with testing and we're simply paying the price for those failures.
    TheBrit, Sage and UniqueUserName like this.

4.861%? 4.5961%?

I am highly suspicious of the ridiculous number of decimal places of accuracy provided by both papers, and their purported closeness to each other.
    East_coast likes this.

typ

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    I feel that the idiotic debate about masks has taken away the focus on the fact that it's not the end all be all measure that 100% protects the population. It's only one link in a chain of measures and they have to be worn and managed properly to have some effectiveness. HK has done well with mask use but not so well with social distancing and even worse with testing and we're simply paying the price for those failures.
    That was the exactly the point of the mask debate amongst the intelligent commentators at least, that masks are NOT the magic fix-all that many mask monkeys claimed - "HK has few cases because we wear masks!" was a mantra repeated time and again (self serving congratulatory pats on the back all round!)

The simple and obvious fact remains, that poor understanding of causative and mitigating factors leads to compromised decision making. Yes masks help, but if you believe they're your magic bullet, you will indeed miss the other tricks your pony can pull off.
    Last edited by Sage; 25-07-2020 at 11:19 PM. Reason: typo
    Cheeky Kiwi and HK_Katherine like this.

Original Post Deleted
    What thinking, that’s there much more to prevention than masks? Masks have repeatedly been citied as ‘the reason or the principal reason’ HK had low cases.

What you hate is ever conceding that you’re full of shit, but I can smell your reek from even this far

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    typ

That was the exactly the point of the mask debate amongst the intelligent commentators at least, that masks are NOT the magic fix-all that many mask monkeys claimed - "HK has few cases because we wear masks!" was a mantra repeated time and again (self serving congratulatory pats on the back all round!)

The simple and obvious fact remains, that poor understanding of causative and mitigating factors leads to compromised decision making. Yes masks help, but if you believe they're your magic bullet, you will indeed miss the other tricks your pony can pull off.
    This line of thinking has always been a stupid trope from anti-maskers.

Nobody ever claimed masks are a magic solution but they are an important part of the arsenal to help prevent spread.

What is the RO rate in HK?
    Cornmeal and Coolboy like this.

This line of thinking has always been a stupid trope from anti-maskers.

Nobody ever claimed masks are a magic solution but they are an important part of the arsenal to help prevent spread.

What is the RO rate in HK?
    You should take my comments in the context that Aramis presented, debating the efficacy of masks meant ‘the converted’ were too busy shouting down dissent to be able to address other factors and solutions.

I propose the flip side, because mask proponents were so unwilling to accept debate, regardless of the actual risk (even when there’s no local transmission) that ‘they’ (thesystem) took their eye off the big picture.

In that context everything I have written represents reality, mask’s role continues to be overstated, perhaps not by yourself East Coast.

Maybe Aramis meant the idiotic portion of the debate (and yes there are plenty of antimask idiots) rather than that all debate about masks is idiotic, but citing ‘debate’ as a reason why ‘the system’ hasn’t coped with all eventualities suggests a poor understating of the mechanisms that enable good decision making.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    You should take my comments in the context that Aramis presented, debating the efficacy of masks meant ‘the converted’ were too busy shouting down dissent to be able to address other factors and solutions.

I propose the flip side, because mask proponents were so unwilling to accept debate, regardless of the actual risk (even when there’s no local transmission) that ‘they’ (thesystem) took their eye off the big picture.

In that context everything I have written represents reality, mask’s role continues to be overstated, perhaps not by yourself East Coast.

Maybe Aramis meant the idiotic portion of the debate (and yes there are plenty of antimask idiots) rather than that all debate about masks is idiotic, but citing ‘debate’ as a reason why ‘the system’ hasn’t coped with all eventualities suggests a poor understating of the mechanisms that enable good decision making.
    Again - who is suggesting masks offer the ultimate protection. A society wearing masks reduces transmissions rates.

Please point out any posters who are taking the view on masks you are suggesting is being taken.
    Gatts and Coolboy like this.

In my opinion, there shouldn't even be a mask debate. Would any sane person want their surgeon or dentist to work on them without one? In my book, wearing it is first and foremost a courtesy to other people. Where I feel is the problem is that people engage in risky activities possibly or probably thinking that a mask will protect them.

In my opinion, the number one thing to do is social distancing followed by good hand hygiene and completed by wearing a mask. Unfortunately, I feel that many have the wrong order and many in the lower risk category are simply selfish and self centered and don't care that much about catching because it likely won't harm them so they'd rather not be inconvenienced and have their fun than act responsibly for the good of others.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast