Like Tree115Likes

Covid-19 - Global News - July 2020

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
  1. #81

    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    600

    In my opinion, there shouldn't even be a mask debate. Would any sane person want their surgeon or dentist to work on them without one? In my book, wearing it is first and foremost a courtesy to other people. Where I feel is the problem is that people engage in risky activities possibly or probably thinking that a mask will protect them.

    In my opinion, the number one thing to do is social distancing followed by good hand hygiene and completed by wearing a mask. Unfortunately, I feel that many have the wrong order and many in the lower risk category are simply selfish and self centered and don't care that much about catching because it likely won't harm them so they'd rather not be inconvenienced and have their fun than act responsibly for the good of others.


  2. #82

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    20,207
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Again - who is suggesting masks offer the ultimate protection. A society wearing masks reduces transmissions rates.

    Please point out any posters who are taking the view on masks you are suggesting is being taken.
    Nobody took that view. It is just a strawman built by a troll.

  3. #83

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Again - who is suggesting masks offer the ultimate protection. A society wearing masks reduces transmissions rates.
    Ultimate protection are your words.

    Wearing reduces transmissions - overall yes, but not absolutely in all situations

  4. #84

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:

    I feel that many in the lower risk category are simply selfish and self centered and don't care that much about catching because it likely won't harm them so they'd rather not be inconvenienced and have their fun than act responsibly for the good of others.
    I’d agree with you about wrong order and also that some are selfish, however there are others who just have a better ability to assess relative risk and take a more logical approach.

    One of the bigger risks of transmission, as someone wrote yesterday, is being with your/their families.

    I also not how e.v.e.r.y.o.n.e who is on another corner of this debate from me, completely dodged the question and clammed up when asked about the situations that they did not wear masks - asleep, at home, with your families etc. Etc

    I can comprehend they there reason beyond you being selfish as to why you don’t wear a mask in every situation but many seem incapable of extending that same understanding to others - that to ME personifies selfish, an unwillingness to see others viewpoint, particularly when backed by sound risk assessment or a firm understanding of genes, evolution and human behaviour.

  5. #85

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ??
    Posts
    18,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Ultimate protection are your words.

    Wearing reduces transmissions - overall yes, but not absolutely in all situations
    Trying to follow your argument. Apologies but, Utterly incomprehensible.....
    Gatts, TheBrit and TigerSun like this.

  6. #86

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Trying to follow your argument. Apologies but, Utterly incomprehensible.....
    It's simple if you can follow that all my points are shades of grey, not black and white. If you want examples of posters (although I didn't say posters, I said people - 'posters' is YOUR word not mine - where have you seen me write this sentiment before? - hint it was in reply to you) who have stated that HK has low infections because 'we' wear masks then go and find them, they are there.

    Wearing masks only prevent infections if you are exposed to suitably high levels of said infection, they do not prevent infections in scenarios where you would not otherwise be infected - - o.b.v.i.o.u.s.l.y. But many people talk (and write here on Geo) as though we are exposed to infection at every turn, and it's 'only' (take this in context) masks that are preventing infection, at every turn.

    Now you can demand I go and find a line in someone else's post that says verbatim: "we are exposed to infection at every turn, and it's only masks that are preventing infection, at every turn." but clearly that would be you being disingenuous. Few of us have either the time or inclination to write lengthy replies covering every eventuality of all the ways you might choose (and I do mean actively choose) to misinterpret what we write - so if you want intelligent discourse, best to seek the intent behind what's being written and not apply a literal interpretation that's not.

  7. #87

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ??
    Posts
    18,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    It's simple if you can follow that all my points are shades of grey, not black and white. If you want examples of posters (although I didn't say posters, I said people - 'posters' is YOUR word not mine - where have you seen me write this sentiment before? - hint it was in reply to you) who have stated that HK has low infections because 'we' wear masks then go and find them, they are there.

    Wearing masks only prevent infections if you are exposed to suitably high levels of said infection, they do not prevent infections in scenarios where you would not otherwise be infected - - o.b.v.i.o.u.s.l.y. But many people talk (and write here on Geo) as though we are exposed to infection at every turn, and it's 'only' (take this in context) masks that are preventing infection, at every turn.

    Now you can demand I go and find a line in someone else's post that says verbatim: "we are exposed to infection at every turn, and it's only masks that are preventing infection, at every turn." but clearly that would be you being disingenuous. Few of us have either the time or inclination to write lengthy replies covering every eventuality of all the ways you might choose (and I do mean actively choose) to misinterpret what we write - so if you want intelligent discourse, best to seek the intent behind what's being written and not apply a literal interpretation that's not.
    Sorry. It must be me. Still no idea.

  8. #88

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Sorry. It must be me. Still no idea.
    Ok, lets leave it with you then.

  9. #89

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    7,936
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Sorry. It must be me. Still no idea.
    No it’s not you... it’s not o.b.v.i.o.u.s. to me either.

  10. #90

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Island East
    Posts
    4,892

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast