Like Tree37Likes

What will the world be like post-pandemic?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The environment will suffer greatly in the few years after life returns to something more what we're used to. I think people will make up for lost time, travel, consume, litter and trample anything in sight. Hypocritically I'll probably be one of them.

In general I think any lessons we (as a city, country, society, species, all of us) need to learn about this will be forgotten all too quickly. Things like health and hygiene, how fortunate we really are to assume such a level of health we've grown accustomed to.

I think it's been a good opportunity to do some spring cleaning on your social circles and facebook though. Found a few secret anti-vaxxers and hoax believers in mine.

On a more wholesome note, I hope to maintain the extra gardens I've had since the start of the year. I've learned a lot, really enjoy it and find it really therapeutic despite the bloody caterpillars.

HK_Katherine and Jackie1 like this.

The 1990's saw the beginning of the death of distance.

The 2020's, DISTANCE IS BACK!!!

mrgoodkat and markranson like this.

We’ve already seen what it is going to be like. In any country where local or short haul travel has not been restricted a mass clamour for holidays. Human kind as a whole is selfish and lacks willpower. The masses from here will be flocking to Thailand, Vietnam etc the minute the same happens here.

Long haul scheduled flights will suffer. Covid has taught business that you don’t need to meet face to face to seal a deal. That will have knock on effects on Economy and Premium flight prices.

Offices will also be massively downsized as companies realise that WFH or shared desk space is the way forward.

The democratic world will still elect buffoons as leaders while those of us not so fortunate will bemoan the lack of democracy wishing for the option of electing a buffoon.

TheRoadAhead likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    We’ve already seen what it is going to be like. In any country where local or short haul travel has not been restricted a mass clamour for holidays. Human kind as a whole is selfish and lacks willpower. The masses from here will be flocking to Thailand, Vietnam etc the minute the same happens here.

Long haul scheduled flights will suffer. Covid has taught business that you don’t need to meet face to face to seal a deal. That will have knock on effects on Economy and Premium flight prices.

Offices will also be massively downsized as companies realise that WFH or shared desk space is the way forward.

The democratic world will still elect buffoons as leaders while those of us not so fortunate will bemoan the lack of democracy wishing for the option of electing a buffoon.
    I disagree. Virtual meetings and virtual offices will go back to the margins. Perhaps a little more than now, but not mainstream. My company was using Zoom for years before the virus - for internal and external meetings. We still chose to fly often to meet in person, because it's just better. Building lasting relationships over zoom is very hard. A mix of in-person and virtual is a minimum.

Running a company where nobody ever meets each other is the death of company culture and cohesion. Any company trying to do it long term will disintegrate.

Same as what happened in 2003. Everyone will be cautious for a few months / years then will go back to not washing hands because "it's too much effort". Eating exotic animals will be banned for a while but within a few years pangolin will be on the menu again.

MatthieuTofu likes this.

How long will it take for the travel industry to recover?

Original Post Deleted
    I'm cautious on this. My company had video calls like... for years before the pandemic.
    We still made quite a lot of travel every year to meet teams in person.
    A bit was unnecessary business tourism, and it will be curbed, but building personal networks is just better done in person - I agree with @HK_Katherine on that

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    I'm cautious on this. My company had video calls like... for years before the pandemic.
    We still made quite a lot of travel every year to meet teams in person.
    A bit was unnecessary business tourism, and it will be curbed, but building personal networks is just better done in person - I agree with @HK_Katherine on that
    Speaking from experience, a frequent business traveler being able to fit a little sightseeing into his packed schedule is one of the hidden perks to an otherwise exhausting business travel routine. Although in recent years, that too has been increasingly curbed, sadly.

But I do agree there are some things that can't be done entirely online. There is still a place for actual in-person face-to-face meetings and conferences to build relationships and trust between clients and partners. Something that emails or zoom can't necessarily convey very well.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 17-08-2020 at 10:19 PM.

I’m not disagreeing on the point that face to face meetings are so much better, can seal a deal and make follow ups that much more appealing.

My company cannot be the only one where every business trip now needs multiple layers of approval regionally as well as internationally.

Oh and if I fly somewhere for the first time I always build in some sightseeing me time! I’ll still get trips but I’m expecting a 40/50% cut in travel budget and not just for year 1 post Covid.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Things will revert to the normal that people enjoy very quickly - as has been proven historically many times. Trends that were already happening will have been accelerated - e.g. working from home more often (but not completely as people crave interaction, creativity and many other reasons to be in the office), and online shopping for certain types of goods.