Like Tree19Likes

CANZUK freedom of movement and trade agreement

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Original Post Deleted
    The only thing that makes sense in your rant is your apparent dislike for learning another language. That's admittedly hard

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    I can also see a majority supporting the concept, but nonetheless, it will be a long drawn out process. Constitutional challenges under minority rights, etc.
    Can you explain?

Original Post Deleted
    My mistake. I thought "anglosphere" might have had something to do with the language.

It is interesting how people can have very different viewpoint about freedom or self determination of various populations depending on how they will be affected. The Scots and the Irish with the UK, the French in Quebec, the Taiwanese and Hong Kong people with China, Catalonia with Spain, the Kurds, the Palestinians, we could go on for a while...

As a principle, I like the concept of a people's right to self determination however the practicalities of it can be very complex. The CCP's determination in trying to assimilate and control Greater China is something I can never accept and respect and it reeks of imperialism.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    Who wasn't as free were the Irish when they wanted to be independent - the Brits instead sent the Army in.
    There are usually many sides of any argument and that was 100+ years ago. The below letter has another perspective. We have no idea if a referendum at the time would swung in favour of full independence. The received wisdom is it would but pro-independence parties only got 47% of the vote at the general election.

The British did commit atrocities all over the world including on the Island of Ireland. But the UK has for long time offered unfettered access to Irish citizenship to it citizens in Ulster and allow Irish Citizens the right to vote in UK elections. Clearly internment in the 70's was wrong and independent enquiries have been undertaken and changes made.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/opini...ut-referendum/

The question in the current era is if a nation's government or the EU should have the power to determine bilateral free-movement treaties. They have existed before the EU such as the CTA, Nordic Passport, Trans-Tasman etc.
    Paxbritannia likes this.