Like Tree10Likes

US West Coast Fires

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US West Coast Fires

Some shocking and stunning photos coming out of the US West coast... forest fires everywhere.

Name:  Screenshot 2020-09-10 at 12.23.01 PM.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  158.4 KB

From here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/09/u...e-updates.html

The NY Times photo in your link above is stunning. Pulitzer Prize winning stuff.

I've been following my NorCal friends' FB feed and it looks surreal. The weird thing about the areas close to the coast is that the air isn't that bad. The ash from the fires is very high up in the atmosphere and a layer of fog that is typical near the coast is acting as a umbrella.

In SoCal we're not getting the dramatic skies like the North but we are getting the ash. I'm 50 miles from the closest fire yet my car is covered in ash.

No relief in sight. We're still weeks away from what is typically peak fire season.

Rolling blackouts. Apocalyptic skies due to raging wild fires. The Golden State ain't what it used to be.

Coolboy and hullexile like this.

The NY Times photo in your link above is stunning. Pulitzer Prize winning stuff.
    Have seen several other photos... but this one just makes you go "oh fuck!" - specially if you've been there in normal times.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:

I've been following my NorCal friends' FB feed and it looks surreal. The weird thing about the areas close to the coast is that the air isn't that bad. The ash from the fires is very high up in the atmosphere and a layer of fog that is typical near the coast is acting as a umbrella.

In SoCal we're not getting the dramatic skies like the North but we are getting the ash. I'm 50 miles from the closest fire yet my car is covered in ash.

No relief in sight. We're still weeks away from what is typically peak fire season.

Rolling blackouts. Apocalyptic skies due to raging wild fires. The Golden State ain't what it used to be.
    Now someone has made a video of the eerie scene of the orange glow from the fires over San Francisco to the tune of Blade Runner:

shri likes this.

Name:  fire.png
Views: 557
Size:  692.1 KB

Supposedly a view of the fires from above the clouds - truely crazy
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Name:  fire.png
Views: 557
Size:  692.1 KB

Supposedly a view of the fires from above the clouds - truely crazy
    Actually fake, the real version (less intense colour) is a sunset shot.
    Coolboy likes this.

Bold move by the California governor. That should get Trump tweeting... Would be nice to see HK follow suit but I can't see that happening.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/califor...35-11600882738

And we're not yet to what is traditionally peak fire season yet . . .

https://sf.eater.com/2020/9/28/21472...hca0g5d9DBbO-o

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    Bold move by the California governor. That should get Trump tweeting... Would be nice to see HK follow suit but I can't see that happening.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/califor...35-11600882738
    Lot of things to chew on regarding Newsom's 2035 deadline.

First, there ought to exponentially more choices for EVs well before that deadline . . . the market was already heading in that direction. The deadline is an artificial line in the sand that was going to come one way or another on its own.

Second, California can't even supply enough electricity to homes and businesses without sparking fires let alone supply every new car purchased from 2035 on. That's the big infrastructure issue that needs to be addressed before the electric dream becomes reality.
    shri and hongkong7 like this.

As is usually the case, Trump plays the blame game and takes no responsibility for anything that goes wrong. Blue states badly manages their forest so he says.

Fact: In California, 58% of forest land is federal and only 3% are in the state hand, the rest being private and native American land. in Oregon and Washington State, the federal government also owns the majority of the land.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46183690

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast