Like Tree131Likes

Covid: UK/England - 'Tier 4' or Circuit Breaker Lockdown from Thursday

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    BBC version. I notice university students not to return to campus. I assume that also applies to overseas students?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55538937
    Yes, with no in person teaching and the lockdown, there is no reason for Intl students to return. From what we have heard they can go back to their halls, but all other lockdown rules apply to them.
    hullexile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    What does this mean for boarding school students? Are they stuck in their halls doing Zoom lessons? Interestingly the HK ban on flights from the UK will prevent an exodus of students back here which caused the wave in March/April.
    More importantly many if not most schools are not geared to take care of the kids if they get sick or if they catch covid. Have heard of some brutal isolation stories with young kids involved.

the vaccine used in UK "may" not be effective against the new SA mutation

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/statu...79119692484608

I suspect if I turn on the UK TV news there will be roving journalist showing the desperately empty shopping streets on one channel and in a different report people ambling around without masks. UK social and governmental enforcement of civil liberty encroaching laws is not perhaps so strong. If you walk down the street without a mask in HK how many meters until someone tells you?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I suspect if I turn on the UK TV news there will be roving journalist showing the desperately empty shopping streets on one channel and in a different report people ambling around without masks. UK social and governmental enforcement of civil liberty encroaching laws is not perhaps so strong. If you walk down the street without a mask in HK how many meters until someone tells you?
    In HK (as a gweiloh) if you wander around outside without a mask nobody say's anything (including the police). Now there ARE dedicated patrols of police that go out with the intent to fine some people - but they are VERY rare.

I have walked past police many times maskless (i'd say twice to three times a week in the past 3 months) and none of them have taken even a passing interest in my mask status, they don't even glance and pause for thought.

Re the general public, some give you a slightly wider berth, maybe 25% (woo hoo that's a major win) some do a panicked evasive move (maybe 1%), most don't react at all - Nobody says a word.

if you go into a shop or public transport etc, it's a different matter.

In a restaurant however, again nobody say's anything as you'll be sitting and taking it off in all of 10 seconds

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9