Like Tree131Likes

Covid: UK/England - 'Tier 4' or Circuit Breaker Lockdown from Thursday

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Updated the first post with the lockdown rules.

It also does seem tgat travel is being highly restricted.

Universities are apparently open. Son's still has 4 hours of in person classes a week..
    A lockdown where millions are still going to school and university and attending classes without masks, where millions are going to work each day is not a lockdown.

From someone who is in the UK right now, and looking forward to getting back to HK I can tell you this. Staying with family 'up north' in a seaside town near a major city; social distancing does not exist. People amble around with no masks, the Mrs was in Primark yesterday in the nearest city and it was crowded like a football stadium (pre covid). Seriously unbelievable scenes, people really just don't care.

The teens and early 20's are out boozing on a Friday and Saturday night in huge crowds with no masks obviously. Rule of 6 is not adhered to, social distancing is not adhered to and to be perfectly honest you can see clearly why they are in such a mess. The politicians are scared stiff of doing anything, and so pansy around with this flip flop decision or another and everyday UK man either doesn't believe its real, or just doesn't care.

A very broad sweeping generalisation would be to say they just want to keep going to the pub, and that's all that really matters.

This place will be in and out of 'lockdown' for many many months to come. It was only a few weeks ago that they made supermarket and shop workers wear masks for crying out loud (because before that obviously the checkout workers at the supermarkets were immune).

Its a shambles. And its as clear as day when you watch this unfold in front of your eyes.

hullexile, TheBrit, shri and 6 others like this.

So with the travel ban we should see very few if any people entering HK from the UK for the next four weeks right?

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...82052.html?amp

As only residents can come to HK I don’t think they will be affected by the UK outbound travel ban as that seems to be only for leisure travel as far as I can make out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary 2:
    As only residents can come to HK I don’t think they will be affected by the UK outbound travel ban as that seems to be only for leisure travel as far as I can make out.
    Yeah, many of us with kids in the UK are waiting to see how this plays out. Specially since the UK govt is indicating thst 4 weeks might not be enough (or its trying to scare the xmas out of the dumb arses...)

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Universities are apparently open. Son's still has 4 hours of in person classes a week..
    In the first lock down UK universities demonstrated they could teach online (or so they say). Now UK people are being told to WFH if they can. So, putting those two things together, doesn't it mean that university teachers should WFH and stop face to face classes? Seems that would greatly reduce opportunities for spreading.
    Mr Chips likes this.

I suspect part of the reason is to preserve student experience. If everyone does their classes online people will start to question (even more) the value for money of these £30k+ degrees

Education is also one of the biggest exports so the UK needs to give the best experience to international students in order to maintain its position.

Last edited by aw451; 02-11-2020 at 12:42 PM.
    Mrs. Jones, Sage and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NewView:
    In the first lock down UK universities demonstrated they could teach online (or so they say). Now UK people are being told to WFH if they can. So, putting those two things together, doesn't it mean that university teachers should WFH and stop face to face classes? Seems that would greatly reduce opportunities for spreading.
    The UK teacher's union agrees... I also agree... if I was a teacher in the UK I would support a strike... teachers can and should WFH also...

Nobody has 'paid for face to face lessons'... people have paid for lessons...
    hullexile, vmlinuz and TaD_LaLa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NewView:
    Not supporting this necessarily but:

Part of the problem is the backlash from students. They don't feel they are getting value for money with online teaching and want fee refunds which universities cannot afford.

As for schools, it's social/economic effects forcing this. Not good for kids from difficult home situations not to be in school and kids at home mean parents can't go to work.
    shri and Sage like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    The UK teacher's union agrees... I also agree... if I was a teacher in the UK I would support a strike... teachers can and should WFH also...

Nobody has 'paid for face to face lessons'... people have paid for lessons...
    Nope, they paid for lessons in a university - There is the 'open university' for people who want cheap, relatively low value, distance-learning.

Teachers like nurses and doctors should suck it up and show up to work. If you're high risk and can make a suitable case, then WFH is appropriate, but for most teachers.....
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast