Like Tree19Likes

Covid: UK Lockdown Discussion

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I take that means no and you have no clue what you are talking about.
    Hang on a minute. People in rural areas can still go to their village bank, post office or village stores. Oh wait!

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Hang on a minute. People in rural areas can still go to their village bank, post office or village stores. Oh wait!
    And catch the regular and cheap public transport

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    When I was in the UK one month ago, the BBC was doing its best in providing a balanced viewpoint - so any decision such as making the pubs close early had viewpoints from health experts offset with pieces on publicans facing financial ruin.

Every piece of news had items about businesses facing difficulties. From that I can see why politicians and the public might have been slow to react.

The other thing I noticed, while on the street, was that people were behaving much better there than during the second peak we had here in August. Although there were official instructions that people couldn't dine here in groups more than 4, and in the UK it was limited to 6, practically no one in the UK was dining out at all. Most people who could were WFH. Furthermore people were not crowding into supermarkets and waiting their turn outside before there was space enough to go inside. The social distancing was much, much better observed.

Obviously I only could see a small corner of London. But it makes me realise that it only takes a little change in behaviour or policy (say opening the universities) and you get completely different outcomes. Butterfly effect comes to mind.
    Totally agree here. I have mentioned that I am impressed with the amount of social distancing I have experienced in the UK in comparison to HK and I get shot down each time. (Usually by people that haven't been here)

Of course it doesn't explain why HK figures are so slow and HK so high but clearly it is not all down to mask wearing, social distancing, hand sanitiser etc.

The trouble with that approach is that people who live in the country go to towns because that is where the shops, schools, banks, etc are located. They are not two totally isolated groups. It is like the "schools are good to open because kids don't get it" argument.
    But if that is the case how come the infection isn't brought back to the rural areas/village?

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    But if that is the case how come the infection isn't brought back to the rural areas/village?
    Is the infection rate zero in rural areas?

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Yes but the number of interactions are way less which means way less transmission rates which means closing down 1/2 the country adds little benefit to the society as a whole as tax still needs to paid.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Yes but the number of interactions are way less which means way less transmission rates which means closing down 1/2 the country adds little benefit to the society as a whole as tax still needs to paid.
    So I live in a village and I am not subject to lockdown. So I can go to work, that is in the lockdown area. I can go to the shops, that are in the lockdown area. My kids can go to school, that are in the lockdown area. I can go to a restaurant, in the lockdown area. Get my point?

Yes the interactions are not so many but they are not two isolated groups. Not doing a national lockdown defeats the purpose and they might as well continue with the local 3 tier system.

Original Post Deleted
    If you turn on UK news there always seems to be quite a lot of people ambling maskless around town centres completely ignoring 2m distancing. Scenes at closing time in town centres are...... The fault of the government?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    If you turn on UK news there always seems to be quite a lot of people ambling maskless around town centres completely ignoring 2m distancing. Scenes at closing time in town centres are...... The fault of the government?

Yes definitely.

Clear messaging.
    Sensible rules
    Understood rules
    Enforcement

These are all the responsibility of the government and they have failed totally

So I live in a village and I am not subject to lockdown. So I can go to work, that is in the lockdown area. I can go to the shops, that are in the lockdown area. My kids can go to school, that are in the lockdown area. I can go to a restaurant, in the lockdown area. Get my point?
    Completely not.

Yes the interactions are not so many but they are not two isolated groups.
    But the risk for 50% of the population is significantly lower because they do have fewer contact points. Would you put cities in lockdown if they had the same infection rates as the rural areas do now?

Not doing a national lockdown defeats the purpose
    Perhaps if you believe the purpose is to eradicate the disease at all costs. If you want the country to keep functioning as much as possible to save as many businesses as possible your thinking may be different.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast