Like Tree81Likes

US Election - Pre and Postmortem...

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Presumably if his campaign, or any of the super PACs, still have cash in the kitty, they could pay if it seemed it might change things?
    From what I've read - recounts rarely change anything. Courts do ...

Best election night ever, bar none. Proper drama throughout and it isn't over yet. My youngest woke me up at about 2am and after I got him back down I actually checked my phone for updates which I'd never usually do.

Real shame Biden didn't give Trump an absolute pasting (although, if he takes PA and GA along with NV which seems a lock, it's still a solid enough EC victory), agree with much of the pessimism about what this means for the future of America and both parties. Wouldn't be remotely surprised to see Trump run again and win in 2024.

Astonishing that Trump managed to actually increase his vote, but worth putting the "most votes for a Republican ever!" into a little context - some of that is down to population size. Regan convinced 31% of all eligible voters to vote for him in 1984, Trump 29% in 2020. So while Trump has done remarkably well and pretty much is the GOP now, he isn't actually as popular as the 'great' Republican Presidents, there are just more people these days. Also, Trump numbers based on 2018 voter eligibility, so probably lower than 29%

AsianXpat0 and Sage like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01:
    Is that a positive sign of winning?

I see these every year, as long as population grows it a silly headline. Democrats have some soul searching to do as to why they lost so many votes (by %) in so many demographics. It will be good soul searching though and hopefully lead to a more moderate party.

Republicans know why they lost, let's hope they remember than instead of thinking how they almost won and trying to copy that part.

@shri - "Uber seems to have won some gig-economy vote in California - no clue."

There was a ruling that said Uber / Lyft drivers are employees of these companies and hence eligible for benefits, whereas uber and lyft are saying they are contractors and not employees and therefore employer is not required to:
    - pay towards payroll taxes
    - pay for benefits (paid time off, health care, sick leave, etc etc).

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer01:
    @shri - "Uber seems to have won some gig-economy vote in California - no clue."

There was a ruling that said Uber / Lyft drivers are employees of these companies and hence eligible for benefits, whereas uber and lyft are saying they are contractors and not employees and therefore employer is not required to:
    - pay towards payroll taxes
    - pay for benefits (paid time off, health care, sick leave, etc etc).
    The fact that (I assume) there must be huge crossover between those that voted for Biden, and those that voted for this (that wouldn't even get near a referendum in any European country) is a sign that it might be best for the Democrats to stay left on social issues, but not move to far left fiscally (see also the Cuban vote in FL).
    Tandy likes this.

My e-mail from the Trump campaign this morning, asking for contributions to "defend" the election victory:

Friend,

THE DEMOCRATS WILL TRY TO STEAL THIS ELECTION!

Just like I predicted from the start, mail-in ballots are leading to CHAOS like you've never seen, plain and simple! The Radical Left is going to do whatever it takes to try and rip a TRUMP-PENCE VICTORY away from you, and that’s why I’m coming to you now.

I need YOUR HELP to ensure we have the resources to protect the results. We can’t allow the Left-wing MOB to undermine our Election. I’m asking my fiercest and most loyal defenders, like YOU, to FIGHT BACK!
    Step up IMMEDIATELY and increase your impact by 1000%.

Please contribute ANY AMOUNT RIGHT NOW to DEFEND the integrity of our Election and to increase your impact by 1000%. >>

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    My e-mail from the Trump campaign this morning, asking for contributions to "defend" the election victory:
    That really is disgusting from an official account.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    You've obviously not seen some of their other emails.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Have no idea where they pulled my e-mail address from but about two weeks before the election, I started getting e-mails- I signed up to the mailing list of the artist who paints patriotic portraits of the president so I could download some images here on Geoexpat and that included my e-mail- it's his patriotic duty to share the info with the president so now I am on some "super-supporter" list and I even get e-mails from Lara Trump (along with Eric, Don, Jr. and Mike Pence but never Ivanka...).

Time to go home folks .... The FAA called the election..

https://twitter.com/tysonweih...35090897735681

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast