Like Tree45Likes

Survived typhoon Ulysses (Vamco)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mengfei:
    Luckily our place, from Pampanga too, is not a flood prone area. Many of the flooded areas where rivers overflowing & flash floods some say they never saw in their entire lives until now! & where surprised by the rapid rising of the waters.

Now the Big clean up begins & some places said it would take for them like 2 years to recover coz of the total immersion of their entire community. Climate change is true, never did typhoons came in the BER months when i was young.

Yes we are not flood prone. San Fernando really affected by floods though

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Philippines is no stranger to typhoons, its probably the most-hit nation in Asia for typhoons. What can really be done though to alleviate the impact of these storms? Better storm drainage? Better housing? They have the experience, I am sure they can think of ways to better manage these crises, the Filipinos I have met are all bright, positive and optimistic after all. I suspect the real problem to progress is the poverty and corruption.
    Yes you are right...Filipinos are bright, positive and optimistic......but all these improvements have not been done since years...due to government money not invested properly or corrupted politicians... from the very high level to the barangay captain.
    Having a house in Philippines since 12 years, how many times i have seen infrastructure works taking years...government money disappearing when it was supposed to reach the barangay for local infractures (local road, school, bridge...)..., mayors or governors preferring to ask to destroy perfectly fine roads and pour concrete again just before reelection to show that they have done something to their electors instead of to launch a new and useful infrastructure project. Unfortunately, these disasters and the misery will happen again and again.
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by etienne43:
    Yes you are right...Filipinos are bright, positive and optimistic......but all these improvements have not been done since years...due to government money not invested properly or corrupted politicians... from the very high level to the barangay captain.
    Having a house in Philippines since 12 years, how many times i have seen infrastructure works taking years...government money disappearing when it was supposed to reach the barangay for local infractures (local road, school, bridge...)..., mayors or governors preferring to ask to destroy perfectly fine roads and pour concrete again just before reelection to show that they have done something to their electors instead of to launch a new and useful infrastructure project. Unfortunately, these disasters and the misery will happen again and again.
    I just think Filipinos deserve so much better than the corrupt and inefficient government that they got. To be fair, the Philippines is no longer regarded as the "Sick man of Asia" as its economy has picked up steam in the last decade. Still, it lags behind quite a few Southeast Asian countries in living standard criteria, like access to education, healthcare and so forth. The local economy also hasn't generated enough jobs with adequate income, otherwise Filipinos would not need to travel overseas for work in such numbers. Its a shame, since I find Filipinos are one of the hardest working folks I know of. They deserve a lot better from their government.
    Sage, mengfei and Baklava like this.

I just think Filipinos deserve so much better than the corrupt and inefficient government that they got. To be fair, the Philippines is no longer regarded as the "Sick man of Asia" as its economy has picked up steam in the last decade. Still, it lags behind quite a few Southeast Asian countries in living standard criteria, like access to education, healthcare and so forth. The local economy also hasn't generated enough jobs with adequate income, otherwise Filipinos would not need to travel overseas for work in such numbers. Its a shame, since I find Filipinos are one of the hardest working folks I know of. They deserve a lot better from their government.
    Yes i agree with you, the economy was good and booming these last years....but unfortunately i have noticed that its has not changed the life of the poor people......but the rich (including the politics and government employees) became more rich..
    Coolboy likes this.

I just think Filipinos deserve so much better than the corrupt and inefficient government that they got. To be fair, the Philippines is no longer regarded as the "Sick man of Asia" as its economy has picked up steam in the last decade. Still, it lags behind quite a few Southeast Asian countries in living standard criteria, like access to education, healthcare and so forth. The local economy also hasn't generated enough jobs with adequate income, otherwise Filipinos would not need to travel overseas for work in such numbers.
    The trouble is what to do about it when the oligarchs control everything including the media.
    Coolboy and Sage like this.

Oh CRAP, how can people recover from such devastation.
    Name:  FB_IMG_1605245791780.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  37.4 KB
    Name:  FB_IMG_1605245799159.jpg
Size:  54.9 KB
    Name:  FB_IMG_1605245796635.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  76.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Oh CRAP, how can people recover from such devastation.
    Name:  FB_IMG_1605245791780.jpg
Size:  37.4 KB
    Name:  FB_IMG_1605245799159.jpg
Size:  54.9 KB
    Name:  FB_IMG_1605245796635.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  76.6 KB
    1991, Pampanga, Pinatubo eruption. Total destruction, of an unimaginable scale, but raised again better than before. They will rebuild.

Name:  images (1).jpeg
Views: 101
Size:  50.4 KB
    Baklava likes this.

Philippines is no stranger to typhoons, its probably the most-hit nation in Asia for typhoons. What can really be done though to alleviate the impact of these storms? Better storm drainage? Better housing? They have the experience, I am sure they can think of ways to better manage these crises, the Filipinos I have met are all bright, positive and optimistic after all. I suspect the real problem to progress is the poverty and corruption.
    In Manila there is an area next to the river which was deliberately set aside to be flooded during typhoons when they build up the sides of the banks going through the city (so the city was not flooded in heavy rain). It did not rain much for a few years, so people used this "spare land" to build shanties. And were then washed away in a major typhoon a few years back. It was bizarre. A mix of authorities not moving people from dangerous areas and people not using common sense in where they build their shacks. Lack of money for typhoon proof housing. Drains filled with rubbish (lack of rubbish collection facilities). Many causes.

Quote Originally Posted by etienne43:
    On top of that, regulations that are intended to "prevent corruption" actually also prevent "anything" happening. Our power station is given the ash to the local authorities for road building (ash is really good for roads). But we cannot get anything to happen until all the various layers of regulation have been approved, which is taking months or years. Meanwhile, the communities have dirt roads which wash away in floods.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    In Manila there is an area next to the river which was deliberately set aside to be flooded during typhoons when they build up the sides of the banks going through the city (so the city was not flooded in heavy rain). It did not rain much for a few years, so people used this "spare land" to build shanties. And were then washed away in a major typhoon a few years back. It was bizarre. A mix of authorities not moving people from dangerous areas and people not using common sense in where they build their shacks. Lack of money for typhoon proof housing. Drains filled with rubbish (lack of rubbish collection facilities). Many causes.
    There are loads of man made own goals but it should be remembered that few countries would survive the onslaught of super typhoons, volcanoes, earthquakes, floods..... Japan would be one of the few exceptions.

The severe damage this time is related to it immediately following a super typhoon.