Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trump pardons Mike Flynn

Not unexpected.

Will he pardon Snowden?

Quote Originally Posted by muzzdang:
    Not unexpected.

Will he pardon Snowden?
    I'm not surprised, just amused how predictable Trump is. For all his alleged "unpredictablility", he is pretty easy to predict when it comes to criminal behaviour.
    muzzdang and hannah01 like this.

It would be interesting to see Snowden pardoned to watch if Snowden ever sets foot in the US again.

Quote Originally Posted by SirNotAppearing:
    It would be interesting to see Snowden pardoned to watch if Snowden ever sets foot in the US again.
    I could be wrong, but unless Snowden has a lot of dirt on Trump's enemies, otherwise I doubt it will benefit Trump for him to pardon Snowden.
    Sage likes this.

People joke that Trump is a dictator and we laugh as he refuse to concede or engages in ethically dubious behaviour like pardoning Flynn. But a historian who has studied dictators said we should not take these issues so lightly. She argued Trump is displaying unmistakable signs of authoritarianism. That by extension America is lurching into authoritarianism or even facism as the GOP lurches ever more into a far-right direction:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ssolini-franco

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/24/o...nor/index.html

I let a lot of Trump-related things slide without comment since I try to respect his voters/supporters and don’t want to get involved in the political conflict, but I feel you would have to have a heart of stone not to feel the injustice in this particular case seems particularly reprehensible. The original case itself really showcases the best and worst of the American system/values/practices (in at least correcting the original wrong done and bothering to investigate and live up to stated values), but the pardon looks to leave the wrong result...

Meh, I don't get the whole controversy. Pardoning questionable individuals is pretty much what every president does. Clinton pardoned Linda Evans and Susan Rosenberg and his own half-brother. Obama commuted the sentence of FALN member Oscar Lopez Rivera, who didn't get released under Clinton because he didn't want to denounce violence. Clinton also pardoned Mark Rich after his wife gave $1 million to the Democrats.
    Obama also pardoned a few hundred drug convicts. As long as the president didn't get an advantage from the act, it doesn't matter who he pardons imho.

Saw a tweet by Bernie saying that the people pardoned by Trump don't deserve them, but 450,000 drug offenders do. What makes drug crime more deserving than white collar crime?

The only ones deserving a pardon are people like Edward Snowden and Chelsea Manning.

Last edited by mrgoodkat; 26-12-2020 at 08:39 AM.

There’s a difference to me between the questionable individuals you mention, however corrupt the practice can get, and outright murderers. Just did quick google of Oscar Lopez Rivera and see he did 36 years.

I otherwise agree with the rest of your post. Not a Bernie bro.

Also, to clarify, I am still not trying to attack/shame his voters/supporters who may have their own reasons (good or bad), my point is simply that this particular action really epitomises how badly he’s damaging the system.

Last edited by AsianXpat0; 26-12-2020 at 10:45 AM.
    Coolboy, shri and calmathetic9 like this.

Sure there's always going to be questionable pardons but the choice, the timing and the way Trump is doing it is basically like giving a huge middle finger to everyone day after day. The flurry of pardon and then leaving for a golf trip without signing the spending bill in the middle of the worst possible time in the pandemic and the chaotic vaccination. The only positive I see is that he's making it increasingly difficult for the republicans to support him and hopefully he causes a defeat in the Georgia run offs so that the Democrat get the senate. I can't think of a worse leader in a democracy in my lifetime not to mention a more wretched political figure. I so hope they manage to throw his fat ass in jail.

Coolboy likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast