Like Tree147Likes

Covid Vaccine Approvals

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Seems CoronaVac isn't enough for China...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vaccine-fosunpharm-idUSKBN2940XE?taid=5fec8a40ca1f440001bf1639&utm_ca mpaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_medium=tru eAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    Up to 90%.....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...we-know-so-far

Not sure exactly how it works now though because they are saying the 2nd dose is not needed until 2/3 months after the first. Maybe there has been more research?
    And I heard on CNN that not a single person who had the vaccine in the trials had serious covid19 symptoms. Can you imagine the impact on the NHS if no one needed hospitalisation from covid19?
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Unbelievable- on UK TV this evening. Jab and Go/Ryan Air advert.

tagline along the lines of with vaccines now coming there’s never a better time to book your holiday and we have millions of bargains.

My healthy, 31 year old daughter in Chicago just got the vaccine, much to my surprise. She works at the University of Chicago writing grant proposals for doctors. Apparently they had left over vaccine after getting it to frontline workers and randomly distributed it to other employees. Yeah, distribution is a total clusterfuck, as I suspected. Her 85 year old grandmother and 67 year old father, no vaccine, but because she works in a vaguely medical-related job, she gets the vaccine. Makes total sense to me...not. She was totally freaked out about the virus so I am very happy for her and will send her to visit my mother after the second dose and whatever time period you should wait to ensure immunity.

Just found the e-mail from my daughter- she thinks there were appointment cancellations and that's why she got a slot. So, in Florida, seniors are camped out overnight in parking lots hoping to get the vaccine and in Chicago...scheduled APPOINTMENTS. Although she did note that the vaccine was administered in a handicapped bathroom that had a desk set up in it...

She just randomly received an e-mail saying pick one of these time slots, was in the middle of a snowstorm but she figured this is the only chance she would get for months...make it work.

It still speaks to a system that is rather ad hoc...

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Just found the e-mail from my daughter- she thinks there were appointment cancellations and that's why she got a slot. So, in Florida, seniors are camped out overnight in parking lots hoping to get the vaccine and in Chicago...scheduled APPOINTMENTS. Although she did note that the vaccine was administered in a handicapped bathroom that had a desk set up in it...

She just randomly received an e-mail saying pick one of these time slots, was in the middle of a snowstorm but she figured this is the only chance she would get for months...make it work.

It still speaks to a system that is rather ad hoc...
    Isn't the current one quite volatile and breaks down quite quickly above minus 70? If they have already cracked them open and don't have a fridge or tanks of liquid nitrogen to hand I suppose it makes sense to get them into any veins.

Hopefully the newer weaker one that is easier to store will remove some of those pain points.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Isn't the current one quite volatile and breaks down quite quickly above minus 70? If they have already cracked them open and don't have a fridge or tanks of liquid nitrogen to hand I suppose it makes sense to get them into any veins.

Hopefully the newer weaker one that is easier to store will remove some of those pain points.
    Yes, I was thinking that might have been part of it- this batch is "defrosted" gotta quickly use it up...she didn't ask for it, she just got this random e-mail saying "hey, wanna get a shot?" Still speaks to a less-than-completely-ideal distribution system...but now that she's in the queue, she will get the second dose- wonder if she would be able to come to TW under these conditions? Haven't seen her for two years...

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Yes, I was thinking that might have been part of it- this batch is "defrosted" gotta quickly use it up...she didn't ask for it, she just got this random e-mail saying "hey, wanna get a shot?" Still speaks to a less-than-completely-ideal distribution system...but now that she's in the queue, she will get the second dose- wonder if she would be able to come to TW under these conditions? Haven't seen her for two years...
    Good for her for being flexible and motivated enough to jump at the opportunity!
    MABinPengChau and Jillypots like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Good for her for being flexible and motivated enough to jump at the opportunity!
    Chicago is a covid hellhole, almost getting as bad as NYC was in the spring. So she was plenty motivated and is smart enough to know that a fluke like this is not coming along again- so, middle of the snowstorm, she didn't care, she got herself there, on time and ready.

The vaccination process will definitely be chaotic at times. I was on a call with friends and was informed that they were basically recruiting untrained health workers to administer jabs. A nutritionist friend had just received training. I don't think it's overly concerning since diabetes patients are/were routinely trained to self administer insulin but it shows that vaccination will bring challenges.

I also think it's wishful thinking to believe that being vaccinated will automatically allow a person to travel. We know that the vaccine prevents an infected person from developing symptoms but it's not yet clear if you remain a carrier and how much risk infect there are in infecting others and this won't be known anytime soon. Countries that have a significant portion of the population vaccinated will likely reopen but until that's done, I expect many will continue to have quarantine measures particularly in this part of the world. In HK, I believe we will be lucky to see quarantine lifted in 2021.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast