Like Tree50Likes

Dec 2020: Brexit ...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Not sure if this has been mentioned... But agreeing not to break international laws seems to be a tiny step in the right direction.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...droidApp_Other

East_coast likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    No country has ever done this that I am aware of. So why push so hard for this anomaly?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    No country has ever done this that I am aware of. So why push so hard for this anomaly?
    Trading fishing rights happens all the time

Canada and the EU have adjoining fishing rights. Can you imagine Canada or any other nation giving up these rights to geta trade deal with the EU?
    No. They would simply accept that they can’t sell their fish in the EU and move on to tourism and semiconductors. Which is unacceptable for the UK. Which is the reason for this impasse
    East_coast likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I thought that was the case. Pension hopes dashed

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Trading fishing rights happens all the time
    The EU is not asking for fishing rights. The EU is asking to control UK waters for fishing policy.

Original Post Deleted
    If it were just a case of being able to bid on fishing rights then it would obviously be a non-issue. The EU could bid against the other nations the UK would be offering access to. I am sure China, USA etc will happily bid against the EU. The issue is about control not access.

If it were just a case of being able to bid on fishing rights then it would obviously be a non-issue. The EU could bid against the other nations the UK would be offering access to. I am sure China, USA etc will happily bid against the EU. The issue is about control not access.
    I'm sure politics does play a major role (and as DeletedUser wrote it's probably Macron - don't think Orban or Kurz care much about the issue). But the UK fishermen want to sell their fish the same way EU fishermen can. Land directly at French or Dutch ports, unload their cargo, get paid. How is this not about giving up control from the EU side? All these things are quid-pro-quo, and the main reason this whole issue got stuck the last four years is that the UK says "we don't want to do quo". And promising "no quo" to their voters.

Makes you wish a consulting company had been in charge of the whole ordeal. Even those know not to raise expectations that high.
    Jillypots likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    I'm sure politics does play a major role (and as DeletedUser wrote it's probably Macron - don't think Orban or Kurz care much about the issue). But the UK fishermen want to sell their fish the same way EU fishermen can. Land directly at French or Dutch ports, unload their cargo, get paid. How is this not about giving up control from the EU side? All these things are quid-pro-quo, and the main reason this whole issue got stuck the last four years is that the UK says "we don't want to do quo". And promising "no quo" to their voters.

Makes you wish a consulting company had been in charge of the whole ordeal. Even those know not to raise expectations that high.
    The EU already has a list of ports where third country boats can land fish. The UK fishermen would just land at these ports like ALL other nations.

https://op.europa.eu/en/publication-...a2/language-en

Again it would appear the EU want control of fishing rights rather than fair market access to the UK waters fishing rights.

The last supper...

Johnson said “a good deal” could still be done if the EU scrapped its demands, but Britain would prosper with or without a trade deal.

A British government source said a deal may not be possible, as did EU chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN28J0OA

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast