Like Tree39Likes

The GOP becoming a facist party?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    When you draw the lines as you do, I don't think you're looking for much conversation... just agreement.
    Is anyone particularly open to anything other than agreement? I'm happy to hear other people's point of view and I welcome all coherent thought. I was talked out of being a Republican about 10 years ago and I have no regrets.

I love when people think and talk... preferably in that order. People have different values and so they see different things. Few of my friends share my views on US govt and that's great, so long as they don't try to silence my views.

Fascism is on the rise in America, but it isn't because of President Trump or the Republicans. Fascism is about complete subservience to overwhelming state power and the entities creating that are the toxic oligopolies of big tech and Wall St merging with the authoritarian left personified by Biden and Pelosi who are now censoring anyone who dares dissent, targeting opponents through media-echoed bullying campaigns designed to cut people off from the internet, banks, jobs, and transportation combined with government-endorsed doxxing and media-cheered violence. The Biden junta is intent on implementing political genocide.

Tandy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    Fascism is on the rise in America, but it isn't because of President Trump or the Republicans. Fascism is about complete subservience to overwhelming state power and the entities creating that are the toxic oligopolies of big tech and Wall St merging with the authoritarian left personified by Biden and Pelosi who are now censoring anyone who dares dissent, targeting opponents through media-echoed bullying campaigns designed to cut people off from the internet, banks, jobs, and transportation combined with government-endorsed doxxing and media-cheered violence. The Biden junta is intent on implementing political genocide.
    That gave me a laugh.
    vmlinuz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    It's like racism, used to label people you don't agree with to make your "fight" seem more virtuous. Beating up someone over their opinion makes you an asshole, but beating up a "fascist" makes you just as heroic as your grandfather who fought in WW2.
    The trouble is there really are racists and true fascists out there. Trump is not but there definitely are some in his base. Then you get idiots like Pax saying Biden and Pelosi are fascist.
    Coolboy, shri and Greghouse like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    The trouble is there really are racists and true fascists out there. Trump is not but there definitely are some in his base. Then you get idiots like Pax saying Biden and Pelosi are fascist.
    Racism and ultra-nationalism sure, but fascism requires dictatorial power. I'd say there is no true fascism in any Western democracy.
    Aramis and shri like this.

I agree that putting these kind of labels on parties and politicians is unhelpful and incendiary. Nothing good comes out of it and it only serves to divide.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    I agree that putting these kind of labels on parties and politicians is unhelpful and incendiary. Nothing good comes out of it and it only serves to divide.
    But we need to remember there are fascist parties out there on the fringes. (I don't agree fascism only exists if they have power). When they publish your name and address as an enemy of the people and someone lobs a brick through your window narrowly missing the kids, when you stop them marching down the street wearing swastikas and attacking anyone they don't like, you then understand they are real. When you have a long discussion with their leader and understand their mentality then it is frighteningly real.
    Coolboy likes this.

According to Umberto Eco's 14 point test, it appears to be so.

1. The cult of tradition. “One has only to look at the syllabus of every fascist movement to find the major traditionalist thinkers. The Nazi gnosis was nourished by traditionalist, syncretistic, occult elements.”
    2. The rejection of modernism. “The Enlightenment, the Age of Reason, is seen as the beginning of modern depravity. In this sense Ur-Fascism can be defined as irrationalism.”
    3. The cult of action for action’s sake. “Action being beautiful in itself, it must be taken before, or without, any previous reflection. Thinking is a form of emasculation.”
    4. Disagreement is treason. “The critical spirit makes distinctions, and to distinguish is a sign of modernism. In modern culture the scientific community praises disagreement as a way to improve knowledge.”
    5. Fear of difference. “The first appeal of a fascist or prematurely fascist movement is an appeal against the intruders. Thus Ur-Fascism is racist by definition.”
    6. Appeal to social frustration. “One of the most typical features of the historical fascism was the appeal to a frustrated middle class, a class suffering from an economic crisis or feelings of political humiliation, and frightened by the pressure of lower social groups.”
    7. The obsession with a plot (or plots). “Thus at the root of the Ur-Fascist psychology there is the obsession with a plot, possibly an international one. The followers must feel besieged.”
    8. The enemy is both strong and weak. “By a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak.”
    9. Pacifism is trafficking with the enemy. “For Ur-Fascism there is no struggle for life but, rather, life is lived for struggle.”
    10. Contempt for the weak. “Elitism is a typical aspect of any reactionary ideology.”
    11. Everybody is educated to become a hero. “In Ur-Fascist ideology, heroism is the norm. This cult of heroism is strictly linked with the cult of death.”
    12. Machismo and weaponry. “Machismo implies both disdain for women and intolerance and condemnation of nonstandard sexual habits, from chastity to homosexuality.”
    13. Selective populism. “There is in our future a TV or Internet populism, in which the emotional response of a selected group of citizens can be presented and accepted as the Voice of the People.”
    14. Ur-Fascism speaks Newspeak. “All the Nazi or Fascist schoolbooks made use of an impoverished vocabulary, and an elementary syntax, in order to limit the instruments for complex and critical reasoning.”

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    And yet Biden promised to remove the travel ban on groups from the same subculture as the 9-11 terrorists on his first day in office. Funny how stereotyping is only bad against certain groups.
    The Muslim ban made no difference, it was driven anti-Islamic bigotry, not valid security concerns.