Like Tree15Likes

Public Apologies and Cancel Culture

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Public Apologies and Cancel Culture

Noticed this news piece on BBC today, it seems to me to mark a new low point in societal trends.

With Trump sidelined, will more public figures feel as though these types of statements are more likely to be required in order to avoid the spectre of cancel culture?

Thankfully this is mostly a US phenomenon currently, although we're certainly seeing more of this type of thing in other English speaking nations.

It's Justin Timberlake making a public apology to Britney and Janet Jackson.

Why on earth is this even news, let alone a BBC 'top story'?

Apologising for bad behaviour is one thing, but the utter cringeworthyness of this seems to be totally missed by the people who it's meant for (I guess millennials and extreme liberals?)

The 2nd half of his statement:

"The industry is flawed. It sets men, especially white men, up for success. It's designed this way. As a man in a privileged position I have to be vocal about this. Because of my ignorance, I didn't recognise it for all that it was while it was happening in my own life but I do not want to ever benefit from others being pulled down again.
    "I have not been perfect in navigating all of this throughout my career. I know this apology is a first step and doesn't absolve the past. I want to take accountability for my own missteps in all of this as well as be part of a world that uplifts and supports. I care deeply about the wellbeing of the people I love and have loved. I can do better and I will do better."
    https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56047830

I don’t understand the moaning about the so called cancel culture. Everyone should stick to their beliefs and not playing the victim. Very basic action and reaction.

Last edited by Romeo_inblack_j; 14-02-2021 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Bad English

I also would like to formally apologize to a Hong Kong Chef Executive. I am deeply sorry for shaking my head and screaming verbal abuse at times. I didn't speak up for her and played some contribution to various problem we are all facing. I know I failed. Sorry lor, will treat you curry lamb next time.

mrgoodkat, Dard, shri and 3 others like this.

I don't understand the focus and moaning on the cancel culture. Accept it. Reject it. Or ignore it. Why the need for a whole thread on this topic? Is it threatening to you on a personal level? Does it stop you from getting work done? Does it stop you from enjoying life? No. Why bother paying attention to it?

GentleGeorge likes this.

Lol, nobody should apologize for anything based on what the Twitte crowd demands. They'll be outraged by something else tomorrow anyway and will have forgotten all about you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Lol, nobody should apologize for anything based on what the Twitte crowd demands. They'll be outraged by something else tomorrow anyway and will have forgotten all about you.
    Then why even bother talking about it in the first place? I mean, who cares? Utterly irrelevant issue that has no bearing on our lives. Or maybe...admit it, it bugs you on a level that does not reflect any kind of impact it has on you.

One article read with massive facepalm:-

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nks-giant.html

One lesson to be learnt is only add people on FB,or any social media, that you really know, not just to get bragging rights for a huge "following"

I know I would not last 5 minutes back in the UK or UK workplace!

So apologising when you have done something wrong or offended someone is now wrong? Luckily I was brought up before the loony right started inventing terms of abuse for decent behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    I don't understand the focus and moaning on the cancel culture. Accept it. Reject it. Or ignore it. Why the need for a whole thread on this topic? Is it threatening to you on a personal level? Does it stop you from getting work done? Does it stop you from enjoying life? No. Why bother paying attention to it?
    it’s become a big problem in the United States, especially if you work at government or public institutions. My father works at a University in California. He can and would lose his job if he posted online in support of any number of conservative topics. If I went back to America I would not be allowed to work in my field if I was vocal about my political beliefs as a libertarian (anything less than a progressive is not welcome), so I’ve learned how to pretend to be progressive over the last 15 years. It’s not fun and it’s a big reason that Trump got so much support. He gave voice to a growing anger of people who felt they weren’t allowed to say what they believed.

Unfortunately some of those voices are also crazy, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a real cancer that’s growing in America
    Sage likes this.

BBC is a woke culture rag. When that teacher was decapitated in France the headline was saying something like "Police shot muslim in Paris". They have an agenda to publish all these crybabies stories.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast