Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By garychopper
  • 1 Post By garychopper

India agricultural protests. The Great Reset.

Closed Thread

India agricultural protests. The Great Reset.

https://youtu.be/fg0c2x74mgU

I stopped listening at the bit about "most of these companies have their roots in Nazi Germany". That was 80 years ago.

While I can't say much about corporates and their sinister designs, but these farm reforms in their current form will only lead to exploitation of the poor farmers. Farmers are justifiably protesting against them and this might be one of the largest and longest protests of its kind atleast in my living memory. IMHO, the success or failure of it will have a detrimental effect on India's future.

Skyhook likes this.

For one, the dispute resolution system:
    the new law provides for a special dispute resolution mechanism, it bars the jurisdiction of the civil court from entertaining any suit or proceedings in respect of any matter that could be dealt through the special mechanism provided in the law.
    The new dispute resolution system is even more buereocratic, and with the majority of indian farmers being small with less than 1 acre of land holdings, in case of any dispute with the big corporates who will gain entry into the buying of agricultural produce and contract farming with the new law...whom do you think will win?

Skyhook likes this.

I never said reforms are not needed, I said 'in their current form' they are not the solution.
    For all the big bang GST reform you talk about, what good has it brought to the Indian economy? GST is so bureaucratic and complicated, that it has made life hell for small businessmen. Indian economy is going deeper and deeper into the shithole since this 'ground breaking reform' was undertaken.
    A change just for the sake of change is not the answer, the change has to be an 'improvement' over the existing system. Changing an existing imperfect system for an even more imperfect system is no reform, it's stupidity in my book.
    The govt is still tinkering with the GST 3.5 years after it was implemented in the name of 'improvement'.
    Coming to the farm reforms, wasn't it better to consult the farmers, address their concerns and have them on board for the reforms before they were bulldozed through parliament ignoring procedure, especially something which concerns more than 50% of the population directly?
    There are vested interests and bottlenecks in a democracy, but isn't it naive to believe that the so called 'agricultural economists' and politicians advocating these reforms know more about farming and what is good for the farmers than the farmers themselves who are doing this for generations!

I am not sure which part of my post you found rhetoric, was it about the big bang reforms like the GST which you term as a step in the right direction, failing to achieve what it promised? That's a fact and the figures speak for themselves. Indian economic growth is deteriorating ever since these big bang reforms were undertaken, unemployment is at a record high, exports have been lagging, high inflation coupled with high fuel prices are a perfect cocktail of an economy in crisis.
    On the farm laws why majorly only a couple of northern indian states are protesting :
    It is simply because these states have the most developed govt agricultural markets, in other states of India there are hardly any govt regulated agricultural markets. The govt buys only paddy and wheat in bulk at MSP and the farmers produce only what the govt buys - simple demand and supply.
    If the govt really wants to transform indian agriculture, they have to be a facilitator and an enabler in the process, they can't wash their hands off the whole thing from one day to another and say...we don't have any money and can't afford to buy at MsP and then letting the free markets to run riot on something as critical as food supply. And to show their good intention, they can simply do that by making MSP legally enforceable by whoever that buys the produce. And if they can't do that, because it will go against the basic tenets of a free market, then let the govt foot the bill if the prices fall below MSP, just like it's done in several EU countries through agricultural subsidies.
    For eg, in states like bihar where similar laws are applicable since 2006, the farmers selling directly to the corporates get lower price for their produce than what the northern farmers get selling in a govt regulated market. So these folks are worse off and they head to the northern states to work on the fields.
    Indian agriculture needs a lot of reform, especially the northern states, but these reforms are flawed. It's better to fix them first by consultation and then introduce them rather than introducing a flawed reform ( just like the GST).

A reform is only a reform if it's an improvement over an existing system, I have already given you one example of one part of the reform which is flawed (dispute redressal mechanism) , you also seem to agree over the incorrect way these laws were passed with no consultation. Yet, you seem to be quite fixated in your position without justifying how these laws in their current form will not exploit the farmers, now that my friend is rhetoric

India will scrap three laws that farmers have protested against since last year, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced Friday.

He added that the government will begin the constitutional process in parliament later this month to repeal the laws.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/19/indi...modi-says.html

Good move and finally the farmers resolve paid off.
    Modi is sensing defeat in the upcoming assembly elections in one of the most electorally crucial states and he hopes that rolling back on these laws will help him gain some support.
    Although IMO, while he was busy in his image management, the ground under his feet shifted.

Last edited by garychopper; 20-11-2021 at 08:42 AM.

Another very very important and desperately needed reform missed and opportunity wasted, hope he will learn from mistake, sometime just trying to do good things is not enough, huge difference between trying good things with arrogance vs humility, democracy always teaches lesson or two of later..