Like Tree7Likes

Myanmar

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Myanmar

Oh shit, at least 89 dead today

As with other places, I’m not sure if the people without weapons are brave or foolish or both, but it sure is tragic...if only people with a heart as well as brain/ability were in power.

Sure admire their tenacity in the face of the daily mini-massacres.

Myanmar junta so far is saying a "big fuck you" to the rest of the world (or maybe just the "West" depending on you look at it). Who knows, maybe the generals are counting on the fact no serious harm will come to them...

Myanmar soon will = China in total repression of the people.

There is some interesting argument that China welcomes this kind of news diversion from China's own actions in the SoChinaSea, over Taiwan, in Xinjiang, in HK, etc. We continue to find that Mao was correct in that guns are the sole source of power.

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    Myanmar soon will = China in total repression of the people.

There is some interesting argument that China welcomes this kind of news diversion from China's own actions in the SoChinaSea, over Taiwan, in Xinjiang, in HK, etc. We continue to find that Mao was correct in that guns are the sole source of power.
    Not working very well though, SCS and Xinjiang are never out of the news.

I'd have thought that Xi et. al. would prefer Myanmar to reject western values anyway. The junta will be shunned by the West and be forced to cozy up to their northern neighbours.

My mind is on the poor sods who are dying and their families. I don't think this is Xi inspired, the military in Myanmar have shown their willingness to.kill to keep.power all on their own for a long long time.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Not working very well though, SCS and Xinjiang are never out of the news.
    Do you seriously think Xi is losing sleep over the West's reaction? China just hit back with tit-for-tat sanctions on the EU, UK, Canada and the US. If anything, it shows their confidence that the West can't stop them.

Perhaps that is arrogance. Pride comes before the fall, as they say. But so far, looks like China is unfazed.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 28-03-2021 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    My mind is on the poor sods who are dying and their families. I don't think this is Xi inspired, the military in Myanmar have shown their willingness to.kill to keep.power all on their own for a long long time.
    However Imagine being a Myanmar without the prospect of a friendly local power to do business with. It would make all such acts much less appealing.

I wonder how reliable their army is in this situation - there has been some reports of individual soldiers refusing orders and defecting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myanmar_Army

Coolboy likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast