Like Tree7Likes

Train crash in Taiwan

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Train crash in Taiwan

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...oliday-weekend

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56612248

Tragic. May the casualties rest in peace and the injured mend fully.

. . . I've taken that train before.

Me too.

And me. Hope our TW posters are all OK.

Glad I didn't head to Hualien like I had been thinking (stayed in Taipei because I wanted to go to Easter Sunday at an English-speaking church)...

Not sure how you hit a truck in a tunnel? Need to read some more, maybe try some local news. Big holiday weekend here, very sad.

Edit: Ah, truck slid down an embankment and hit the train, derailing it- OK, that makes more sense than hitting a truck in a tunnel. That's really a nightmare...

hullexile, huja, Elegiaque and 1 others like this.

Seems quite similar to one that happened in the UK some years ago with a car coming off the road, down an embankment and onto the track. Horrible. RIP.

Hand brake not engaged- similar to a runaway bus a couple of years ago in HK. People, if it's a manual transmission, put the hand brake/parking brake on. Same if you are in the mountains...takes a couple of extra seconds, it was just second nature to me, pull up the brake (mine was behind the gear shift), then grab the keys, both with the right hand...

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Hand brake not engaged- similar to a runaway bus a couple of years ago in HK. People, if it's a manual transmission, put the hand brake/parking brake on. Same if you are in the mountains...takes a couple of extra seconds, it was just second nature to me, pull up the brake (mine was behind the gear shift), then grab the keys, both with the right hand...
    Hand brake engaged and wheels properly curbed. In San Francisco, a city famous for the hills, a car that doesn't have its wheels curbed is cited.
    MABinPengChau and Coolboy like this.

Careless operators, maybe govt workers, driving the truck.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast