Like Tree176Likes

Taiwan Strait Crisis: How Likely?

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046:
    is the three-decade long strategic ambiguity policy over?

https://www.ft.com/content/b2776768-...6-4a9c0568370d
    Uh-oh...is this opening a pandora's box? Biden has said something similiar before, only to be contradicted by follow-up White House statements. The US nominee to be the ambassador to China also just said in Congress they are maintaining strategic ambiguity and the One-China principle. So hopefully, this is just a foot-in-mouth issue for Biden...right?

P.S-The White House follow-up statement said their Taiwan policy have not changed.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 22-10-2021 at 01:20 PM.

I wonder if Biden is actually suffering from cognitive decline. The fact everyone in his administration is walking back from his comments makes me think this was not a planned escalation. I hope he has some good people in key advisory positions.

Mrs. Jones likes this.

I think everyone knows he's been in decline since before the election, but many people have not wanted to admit it because politics

I think most people figured a demented Biden would still be miles better than Trump.

If only there was a primary where we could choose a candidate who wasn’t crazy or senile

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    I wonder if Biden is actually suffering from cognitive decline. The fact everyone in his administration is walking back from his comments makes me think this was not a planned escalation. I hope he has some good people in key advisory positions.
    I think it’s exactly the opposite. The president says the truth when asked in the US and China knows exactly that’s it’s the truth, and then both parties do a dance around where China does a bit enraged and some US government dudes say the policy has not changed. Pretty straight forward
    Coolboy and hullexile like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    I think it’s exactly the opposite. The president says the truth when asked in the US and China knows exactly that’s it’s the truth, and then both parties do a dance around where China does a bit enraged and some US government dudes say the policy has not changed. Pretty straight forward
    Hmmm, I think this is a generous, and unlikely explanation. Strategic ambiguity is a policy that has endured for decades and I don't think it will be lightly cast aside, especially not on that forum.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Hmmm, I think this is a generous, and unlikely explanation. Strategic ambiguity is a policy that has endured for decades and I don't think it will be lightly cast aside, especially not on that forum.
    Agreed. I also think it is still a real question. America and China can't go to war. The American people may not support a war over Taiwan. America may not survive without Taiwan's semi conductors. The party in power may not survive if they support war. They also may not survive if they don't.

The ambiguity is very real I think. Everyone really just wants things to stay the same and hope all the problems go away... well, except China in this case.
    TheBrit and hullexile like this.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast