Like Tree35Likes

"There's Nothing More Political Than Food" -Anthony Bourdain

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Has he tried shirako (fish sperm)?I don't mind him calling it gross

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Speaking of bagels, there were a couple of recent articles about the best bagels in America and New Yorkers were NOT happy to see California getting the nod as making the best. As an aside, I went to Pop's Bagels, one of the Los Angeles shops just after the publication of the articles and they had a line out the door, and down the block. I didn't bother parking . . . just kept driving. I'll go back in a couple of months when things die down.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/08/d...sultPosition=1

https://www.foodandwine.com/travel/r...Fz8yJuveKJJNmM
    Finally got a dozen Pop's Bagels. They are expensive (by local standards). They are (too) dense and hard to bite. They have no holes. The garlic on the "everything" was burnt and bitter. The bagels are not impressive. The lox and smoked fish schmeers are very good though.
    Name:  IMG_20210724_122834778.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  1.91 MB

Imagine if TV broadcasters had to apologize every time someone made fun of English food?
    Sage likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Pies, Sunday Roast, tikka masala (not invented in India), Coleslaw, Sausage and mash etc.... Other than that nothing much, pub food basically.

Though they have some quite innovative fine cuisine restaurants now. But overall it's not really good. I can not remember having a ground breaking meal when I lived there, Booze was alright! and nightlife!
    hike likes this.

Beutiful Italy, where people don't know how to drive :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    Pies, Sunday Roast, tikka masala (not invented in India), Coleslaw, Sausage and mash etc.... Other than that nothing much, pub food basically.

Though they have some quite innovative fine cuisine restaurants now. But overall it's not really good. I can not remember having a ground breaking meal when I lived there, Booze was alright! and nightlife!
    Surely also other countries came up with the idea of roasting a piece of meat, or adding mash potatoes to a sausage?

And according to the Encyclopedia Britannica "Some believe that tikka masala was invented in the 1970s by a Bangladeshi chef in Glasgow, Scotland". So it's not English, it's Scottish

This leaves you pies, coleslaw and adding greasy deep fried fish to oversized chips.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Philips:
    Surely also other countries came up with the idea of roasting a piece of meat, or adding mash potatoes to a sausage?

And according to the Encyclopedia Britannica "Some believe that tikka masala was invented in the 1970s by a Bangladeshi chef in Glasgow, Scotland". So it's not English, it's Scottish

This leaves you pies, coleslaw and adding greasy deep fried fish to oversized chips.
    I am not English, I am the neighbour that fought them for over a hundred year war. I lived there and this is the kind of food you get in the UK, not bad but not great either. I do miss Gregg's and Nando's.

If I were to name the meal from my place we could list a hundred meals and still not be done with the post lol

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:

Actually the biggest part of English cuisine that is unique to the UK are puddings, personified in the last decade by the T.V show ‘Great British Bake-off’ which achieved massive popularity on UK TV(and I think is widely bought by other TV stations around the globe)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...itish_desserts

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6