Like Tree33Likes

May 2021: Global Covid News

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Just finished a 8 hour shift volunteering at the local vax centre. Queues of 100's around the block including a big percentage of Indian and Chinese heritage folk. UK is really going to town on Vaccines and people are responding. On a side note - really proud of the integration of so many different cultures at our local medical centre.

Australian's are like HK, really lazy to get vaccinated now and no motivation to do so. The government has pushed back the exit ban to mid 2022 now, they said if you are fully vaccinated we might consider allowing you to travel overseas sooner around end of this year. But Aussies are like 'yeah nah stuff that. What do I want to travel overseas for?'. So people are just completely fine to shut the borders and carry on with life as normal.

As bad as the pandemic is, it's had some very positive effects for Australia. Now we have this "brain gain", where around half of Aussie expats overseas have decided to return home, bringing new skills and talents with them, corporate Australia has moved from 7th to 2nd (behind only China) in M&A activity, expat investment bankers opening new boutique firms etc.

These returning expats also helping the property market, not since Bob Hawke was PM and Kylie Minogue's "locomotion" was the number one song have prices surged at such staggering levels. If you go to a property auction in Sydney now, its like a festival atmosphere with hundreds of people blocking the street to get a glimpse of the activity.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...27-p57ek5.html

https://www.reuters.com/business/fin...ia-2021-05-16/

https://www.news.com.au/finance/real...8c03fee862c967

https://www.news.com.au/finance/real...bc1ecb0369d7db

AsianXpat0 and mysti like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:

These returning expats also helping the property market, not since Bob Hawke was PM and Kylie Minogue's "locomotion" was the number one song have prices surged at such staggering levels. If you go to a property auction in Sydney now, its like a festival atmosphere with hundreds of people blocking the street to get a glimpse of the activity.
    so can't blame chinese/hker/asians on property bubble anymore?

In the Philippines 75% of health workers have now had at least one jab and they are still queueing up. The daily vaccination number passed 120,000 with a target of 500,000 per day.

The scene at a vaccination centre, it appears at least for now the vaccination hesitancy in the Philippines is less than thought.

Name:  5828.jpeg
Views: 198
Size:  22.4 KB

Cornmeal, emx and HK_Katherine like this.

When you are 101 years old I guess "wait and see" is less of an option. Bless her.

Name:  189505875_10160204354312985_2484297235513533142_n.png
Views: 168
Size:  772.8 KB

Have you got one yet? Can you get one?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Have you got one yet? Can you get one?
    No, I had decided against getting it because of the shortage of vaccines. Now vaccines are arriving in volume I will have to reassess. Given that I never go out I am unlikely to pass it on so I think I am low priority.

Perhaps In your case you should consider it from the perspective of your risk factors rather than as being a carrier...

Sage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    No, I had decided against getting it because of the shortage of vaccines. Now vaccines are arriving in volume I will have to reassess. Given that I never go out I am unlikely to pass it on so I think I am low priority.
    Given that your family does go out, and your health status, you are high priority. Then think about all 5g3 the people you help like at Christmas, and recognise your life may have more value than most.
    greenmark likes this.

Canada passes the US with % that have had 1 dose but still lagging way behind most when it comes to fully vaccinated %. Mongolia doing quite well:

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

Last edited by Cornmeal; 23-05-2021 at 02:52 PM.
    hullexile likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast