Like Tree44Likes

BoJo does the honourable thing

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jillypots:
    This is exactly what happened to my husband’s mother. She had eight children with her first husband, but he sadly died. She then married again - a widower - who was a drunkard that beat her and the kids. She left him - not divorced, just left him - and the priest at the Catholic Church said that she couldn’t take communion whilst she was separated from him. It seems draconian, especially as he was still allowed to take communion.
    It just goes to show the malign cultural lock that these shamens have on their people that she would still want to take communion after an experience like that
    markranson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    It just goes to show the malign cultural lock that these shamens have on their people that she would still want to take communion after an experience like that
    Im not Catholic, so don’t really understand it either, but it was important to her, and she was deeply hurt by it

Quote Originally Posted by Jillypots:
    Im not Catholic, so don’t really understand it either, but it was important to her, and she was deeply hurt by it
    I think her situation is in the past, but if not there are churches that offer open communion whatever your background.
    Jillypots likes this.

You’re right, Hull, it was many years ago now. God was on her side though - the husband wrote himself off in a car accident whilst drunk. No-one else was involved, thankfully, and then she was a widow again and able to take communion!

hullexile and Elegiaque like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I think her situation is in the past, but if not there are churches that offer open communion whatever your background.
    Good that God moves with the times
    markranson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Good that God moves with the times
    Some denominations have been doing this for over a century or longer. The early churches had no restrictions as far as I can read though it was taking a meal together in someone's house then.

Last week, me, my two kids (one of whom is officially Catholic, the other is officially nothing) had Communion lead by two Pastors in my house. Crackers and grape juice.
    Jillypots likes this.

Just when you thought nothing could trump the burnt toast and damaged leg on the light railway we get talk of communion ‘the blood of Christ’. You’ll forgive me if I call this one horseshit too.

Wake up and smell the coffee. The earth is millions of years old. Jesus did not feed thousand with fish and bread, did not part the Red Sea. Humans by nature are gullible and with thousands of years of wars fought on religious grounds surely it must dawn on people soon that they’ve been hoodwinked

Taxpayers' $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    How did he get married in a Catholic church?
    Taxpayers' $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Just when you thought nothing could trump the burnt toast and damaged leg on the light railway we get talk of communion ‘the blood of Christ’. You’ll forgive me if I call this one horseshit too.

Wake up and smell the coffee. The earth is millions of years old. Jesus did not feed thousand with fish and bread, did not part the Red Sea. Humans by nature are gullible and with thousands of years of wars fought on religious grounds surely it must dawn on people soon that they’ve been hoodwinked
    ByeByeEngland - the whole definition of “faith” (in anything, not just religion) requires belief, not proof - “complete trust or confidence in someone or something”.
    Each to their own, I say. You don’t believe in a God of any religion - fair enough. Many others do - fair enough. Just as one cannot definitively prove the existence of God, scientists have also failed to definitively prove that higher powers (in any form) don’t exist. In our family we run from staunch Catholics through Anglicans, one Muslim, to agnostics and then atheists. Family gatherings are lively but interesting! Faith, in all religions, is a huge comfort to many people - why seek to destroy it? (Unless the people involved are actively trying to convert you, in which case I totally agree with you!!)
    Paxbritannia likes this.