Like Tree9Likes

Boom v/s Zoom ... the future of travel?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Boom v/s Zoom ... the future of travel?

Seen in another report - "You can have your business meeting in xxx and be back in time for dinner". Is this even relevant anymore and more importantly will it be relevant in 2030 when these supersonic aricraft are expected to fly commercially?

United Airlines (UAL.O) said on Thursday would buy ultra-fast jets from Denver-based aerospace company Boom Supersonic, bringing back supersonic passenger travel which died out with the retirement of the Anglo-French Concorde in 2003.

Under the agreement, the airline will purchase 15 of Boom's "Overture" aircraft once they meet United's safety, operating and sustainability requirements, with an option for an additional 35 aircraft.
    Earlier, United's head of corporate development, Mike Leskinen, told The Air Current in an interview that the transaction was not a firm order but it involved United taking the lead on "a real aircraft" project.
    https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...sh-2021-06-03/

Nice - but what will a seat cost?

To me space and comfort is more important than time...

will not overcome all the other issues, delays, security, lost baggage, long queues or airline food............zoom is better

You need both...

... but I do expect to see a big (~50% ballpark maybe?) reduction in both business travel and office space demand in coming years. Good for everybody (except the REITs perhaps) and the planet

Skyhook likes this.

Almost zero chance these guys actually come out with a commercially available product, unless it is after they get gobbled up by Boeing/Airbus/etc. You'll notice all the weasel words in the statement United put out. Seems more like a scheme to soak up VC.

vmlinuz and huja like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NateM:
    Almost zero chance these guys actually come out with a commercially available product, unless it is after they get gobbled up by Boeing/Airbus/etc. You'll notice all the weasel words in the statement United put out. Seems more like a scheme to soak up VC.
    Yes it does sound like they're getting ready for a bigger funding round.

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle:
    Nice - but what will a seat cost?

To me space and comfort is more important than time...
    Scott Kirby has said many times that he believes the only things customers actively choose for are schedule and price. And while I agree with you, I had plenty of discussions with Americans in the US who insisted on a direct itinerary coast to coast in cattle class over an overall three hours longer one in domestic first class with a stopover in DFW. I am sure these seats will sell if they ever go on sale, if only to give bigshots another way to demonstrating how important they are

personally, i'd like to see more R&D and investment into greener forms of air travel.

Not sure this is viable but at least worth a try...
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-57274973

Supersonic flights is a tough sell, but is it always impossible to operate profitably? Not necessarily.

Despite Concorde being an abject failure as a commercial aircraft program (only 16 aircraft was sold), the airlines that operated Concorde (British Airways and Air France) operated Concorde profitably for quite a few years. After all, it flew for both airlines for 27 years. It would not operate for close to three decades if it was loss-making all that time.

The trick was that British Airways and Air France locked onto a key route that can deliver results, transatlantic flights to and from New York. That route has a high share of business travelers. And by business travelers, I am not just talking about some random low or middle-level manager or professional of some small firm. No, I am talking about high powered executives, board of directors and CEOs of big multinationals. They have the money and need to fly between the Atlantic to provide revenue for these Concorde flights.

So, is supersonic flights always bound to fail? Not necessarily in all cases. It all depends on whether a niche market exists and whether it can provide adequate revenue to support the flights.

People will still fly for business, I suspect with a vengeance, once things are more normal.

For the simple reason that people need to get away from their spouses and kids.

Plutark and hullexile like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast