Like Tree52Likes

WHO recommends banning alcohol for women of child bearing age.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WHO recommends banning alcohol for women of child bearing age.

The WHO have gone mad. Look at this extract from their Global Action Plan on Alcohol -
    www.who.int/publications/m/item/global-action-plan-on-alcohol-1st-draft

”It is necessary to raise awareness among decision-makers and the general public about the risks

and harms associated with alcohol consumption. Appropriate attention should be given to
    prevention of the initiation of drinking among children and adolescents, prevention of drinking
    among pregnant women and women of childbearing age, and protection of people from pressures
    to drink, especially in societies with high levels of alcohol consumption”

Prevention of drinking in women of childbearing age? What on earth?! What happened to adults making reasonable decisions about their own health choices? What about bodily autonomy? And what about men - why only women of childbearing age? I’m so enraged about this! It’s like women only exist to reproduce and nothing else.

Don’t these people have a pandemic to worry about?!

I am no health expert, but I think alcohol should be re-examined for many reasons. Maybe different from the reasons stated in the WHO report.

I worked in bar for many years during Uni and was a regular heavy drinker. The shitty and nasty things I saw with the excuse of alcohol is limitless. Ive only seen bad shit happen with alcohol. Ive yet to see positive outcome from alcohol (besides STD tests after a drunken escapade).

Bad shit:
    - Injuries from intoxication
    - Alcohol poisoning
    - Long term physical damages to organs such as the brain, liver, etc.
    - Easily over consumption
    - Fights
    - Loss of personal belongings
    - Rape/sexual assaults
    - Drunken escapades leading to unprotected sex
    - Hangovers
    - Drunk driving
    - MONEY? $$$$$

The Good shit:
    - ?

I honestly believe alcohol is part of society and it cannot (should not) be banned. However, regulations and social responsibilities need to be improved. I sound like my mom lecturing me 20 years ago...

I think ban it for men of child producing age. You can only drink if you have a vasectomy certificate and a sperm count test within the last six months.

“What happened to adults making reasonable decisions about their own health choices? What about bodily autonomy? “

you don’t yet understand what an addiction is.

Not sure which annoys me the most.

The hypocrisy around alcohol consumption vs the less harmful drugs, or the general hypocrisy of the WHO.

DYU - I don’t disagree that alcohol can be immensely destructive. My beef with this is the way it singles out women. Men of ability-to-become-fathers age are not being banned from alcohol - only women. Yet recent research shows that alcohol affects both sperm’s mobility and quality. I am so enraged that it is hard for me to make sense! But I will try:-
    My preference is that we don’t engage in this paternalistic patriarchal bullsh*t at all. But if we do:-
    What about men of ability-to-become-fathers age - why are they not being banned from alcohol?
    What about women who don’t want to/ cannot have children?
    What about women who are using contraception?
    What women who have had their children?
    In my case, I have one child. So, nine months of not drinking in all my possible childbearing years. But according to WHO I should not have had a glass of wine from the time I was 15 to date? The uselessness and misogyny of the guidance annoys me, but mostly I am furious because the WHO are treating women as if their only use and purpose in life is procreation, and I simply don’t agree with that!

I would like to say “rant over” but it probably isn’t!

TaD_LaLa, Beanieskis, D.YU and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I think ban it for men of child producing age. You can only drink if you have a vasectomy certificate and a sperm count test within the last six months.
    I know this was tongue in cheek, Hull, but it made me smile

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    “you don’t yet understand what an addiction is.
    Men are more likely to be alcoholics and/ or binge drink than women. So why aren’t the WHO recommending a total alcohol ban for men?
    Skyhook and merchantms like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jillypots:
    DYU - I don’t disagree that alcohol can be immensely destructive. My beef with this is the way it singles out women. Men of ability-to-become-fathers age are not being banned from alcohol - only women. Yet recent research shows that alcohol affects both sperm’s mobility and quality. I am so enraged that it is hard for me to make sense! But I will try:-
    My preference is that we don’t engage in this paternalistic patriarchal bullsh*t at all. But if we do:-
    What about men of ability-to-become-fathers age - why are they not being banned from alcohol?
    What about women who don’t want to/ cannot have children?
    What about women who are using contraception?
    What women who have had their children?
    In my case, I have one child. So, nine months of not drinking in all my possible childbearing years. But according to WHO I should not have had a glass of wine from the time I was 15 to date? The uselessness and misogyny of the guidance annoys me, but mostly I am furious because the WHO are treating women as if their only use and purpose in life is procreation, and I simply don’t agree with that!

I would like to say “rant over” but it probably isn’t!
    Absolutely agree with you on the fact they are singling out a specific gender and age group.

However, I do believe the consequences can differ from age and gender. But it should not be banned on these conditions alone. It should be a disclaimer and warning to the public. Also the study should include impact on males as well.
    Jillypots likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jillypots:
    Men are more likely to be alcoholics and/ or binge drink than women. So why aren’t the WHO recommending a total alcohol ban for men?
    I think it’s related to the fact that alcohol can inflict severe birth defects

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast