Like Tree25Likes

UK - Food & Supplies Shortages??

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Does sound like it is more complicated than just brexit. A prpbl m that was many years in the making...

The Guardian: Food, beer, toys, medical kit. Why is Britain running out of everything?.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-of-everything

importing food from the us of a is not a workable alternative..

Lorenzo Bazzana, Coldiretti’s chief economist, said in a statement that British consumers are now subject to “fake” Italian products that use fancy labeling and Italian colors to try to pass crappy cuisine for authentic Italian products. He blamed Brexit for a drop in imports of Italian products into the U.K., which he says has paved the way for what Italians see as culinary crimes, with the U.S. as the biggest offender.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/italy-war...121252983.html

I’m sure all these papers know what they’re talking about, but after Hong Kong British supermarkets look like a wonderland. So much choice! Such reasonable prices!

vmlinuz, Skyhook and Pauljoecoe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jillypots:
    I’m sure all these papers know what they’re talking about, but after Hong Kong British supermarkets look like a wonderland. So much choice! Such reasonable prices!
    And no packaged fruit and veg that when you open it and remove the fruit or veg it's mouldy underneath. Plus the prices in London are 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the same items in Hong Kong. Haha and dairy products are so cheap, fresh milk and cheese plus Deli counter items, just so good and again, a lot cheaper than Hong Kong. You're right it's like Wonderland when you arrive back home, although that spell does eventually wear off and you just accept that it's normal. Enjoy:-)
    Jillypots likes this.

Yes, Skyhook - the dairy!! My daughter can drink all the milk she likes. I can have a second cappuccino in the morning without feeling guilty! Life’s small pleasures, eh?

Skyhook likes this.

Yes, Skyhook - the dairy!! My daughter can drink all the milk she likes. I can have a second cappuccino in the morning without feeling guilty! Life’s small pleasures, eh?
    Haha, what about proper bakeries and baked goods, pie and sausage roll pastry that uses butter instead of margarine and cakes that actually have some ingredient density...

I know you're loving it all right now lol
    Jillypots likes this.

And Chocolate! It took me a few months to get used to prices and range of stuff. I kept over shopping. Got used to it now!
    Jillypots and shri like this.

Ah Pauljoecoe - so true. Although I am a firm believer that you can never really overshop chocolate!

Ah Pauljoecoe - so true. Although I am a firm believer that you can never really overshop chocolate!
    which reminds me to do a British Corner Shop order today!!!

A good read on this issue. Not as simple as one thinks it is in my opinion and am mostly in agreement with the author.

https://mattstoller.substack.com/p/c...-a-monopolized

East_coast likes this.