Like Tree11Likes

Fluvoxamine as a potential Covid treatment?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fluvoxamine as a potential Covid treatment?

Before the mods shut this down, since we’re already digressing, can I get some feedback as to the tangent of what the view on fluvoxamine as a potential Covid treatment is? Promising subject worthy of further study, or tarred like ivermectin for antivaxx/Trumpist/fringe loons associations already?

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    Before the mods shut this down, since we’re already digressing, can I get some feedback as to the tangent of what the view on fluvoxamine as a potential Covid treatment is? Promising subject worthy of further study, or tarred like ivermectin for antivaxx/Trumpist/fringe loons associations already?
    The FDA has warned people NOT to take ivermectin:

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consum...event-covid-19

Of course, with Rogan taking it, you can bet there will be folks ignoring this and taking it...and then is somehow shocked it doesn't cure their Covid and instead have serious side effects.

On fluvoxamine, there are ongoing studies which suggest it may have some effectiveness against Covid:

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2...study-mcmaster

But the FDA and CDC has not officially recommended that yet at this point to treat Covid, because there is insufficient data at present:

Recommendation

There is insufficient evidence for the COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Panel to recommend either for or against the use of fluvoxamine for the treatment of COVID-19. Results from adequately powered, well-designed, and well-conducted clinical trials are needed to provide more specific, evidence-based guidance on the role of fluvoxamine for the treatment of COVID-19.

Source: https://www.covid19treatmentguidelin...s/fluvoxamine/

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    The FDA has warned people NOT to take ivermectin:

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consum...event-covid-19

Of course, with Rogan taking it, you can bet there will be folks ignoring this and taking it...and then is somehow shocked it doesn't cure their Covid and instead have serious side effects.
    My question wasn’t about ivermectin, but to be fair since you brought it up, the last study the media reported on mentioned the effect was not statistically significant vs placebo rather than “ineffective” as portrayed in some outlets. I’m indeed aware of the negative reputation and official advice from good authoritative sources which I’m not trying to question.

Giving up on ivermectin as a lost cause for rational debate (given the strongest backers), I was actually more curious about fluvoxamine, since the same media reporting objective trials did seem to show a better effect than ivermectin.

I don’t think the disclaimer is really necessary, but I’m definitely not promoting ivermectin or fluvoxamine as a treatment for Covid, more polling how virulently the reaction against the second is as a benchmark of consciousness it exists and how negative the associations are.

My question wasn’t about ivermectin, but to be fair since you brought it up, the last study the media reported on mentioned the effect was not statistically significant vs placebo rather than “ineffective” as portrayed in some outlets. I’m indeed aware of the negative reputation and official advice from good authoritative sources which I’m not trying to question.

Giving up on ivermectin as a lost cause for rational debate (given the strongest backers), I was actually more curious about fluvoaxmine, since the same media reporting objective trials did seem to show a better effect than ivermectin.

I don’t think the disclaimer is really necessary, but I’m definitely not promoting ivermectin or fluvoxamine as a treatment for Covid, more polling how virulently the reaction against the second is as a benchmark of consciousness it exists and how negative the associations are.
    Well, the FDA has a responsibility to ensure drugs they oversee are effective to treat whatever condition or illness it was meant to treat and don't cause excessive harmful side effects. So they have to be real careful about what they can and cannot recommend, otherwise they may face legal liability issues.

I also said in the post above there are ongoing studies which suggest fluvoxamine may be effective against Covid. But the FDA and CDC has not officially recommended it due to insufficient data. So unless your doctor prescribe it, I wouldn't recommend you to get it on your own to treat Covid.

See below. 1000's of drugs are being thrown at Covid 19 in therapeutic trials. This one may or may not end up as a useful tool in treatment. Work is being done.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...391v1.abstract

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....19.21262323v2

Usually best to wait for phase 3 clinical trials and peer reviews rather than listen to hacks hawking 'happiness' hacks.

Pretty sure that all these other drugs are doing is *potentially* having some benefit in some severe cases of particular types of immune system overreaction. That's hardly the same as being a proper treatment for Covid.

Disclaimer, this digression (originally located) on another thread was simply a matter of the attempted diversion of energy into a slightly less useless topic, and the 2.5 pages of deletions on that thread before the post, and nothing requiring deletion subsequent, seems to indicate it worked. I’m honoured by seeing the topic being moved out into its own thread, but do feel silly now that it does.

So, 2 votes for further study, however reluctant, and 1 (deleted) vote of concern for my health. My thanks to that poster, and my congratulations to the other 2 for remaining objective despite their own strong inclinations and supporting science, as a matter of finding answers, and not “science”, where it’s all about telling you what to do.

To the poster above, you are quite correct that anti-inflammatories seem a key tool for helping at least some moderate and severe cases, and fluvoxamine may work via that same pathway. I guess I wouldn’t be hung up on whether steroids etc. would be defined as treatment for Covid, but don’t think anyone would deny it’s part of the course of treatment. From the little I remember of the small study attributed though, 8 patients avoided hospitalisation compared to the control group 8/47 admitted there.

If only monoclonal antibodies and antivirals are acceptably defined “treatment”, I’m okay with that too. At the end of the day we are just sharing opinions on a forum (or venting frustrations), not making policy so...

Cornmeal, hullexile and Baklava like this.

anti-inflammatories seem a key tool for helping at least some moderate and severe cases, and fluvoxamine may work via that same pathway.
    There still seems a lot of study to be done

https://rheumatology.medicinematters...dence/19584936
    AsianXpat0 likes this.

Weird thing is people are unwilling to take the 'meds' which are targeted at this specific virus and tested and administered to millions, because of side effects..

At the same time willing to take untested 'meds' because a side effect of that treatment gives some relief ...

The lack of faith in the establishment vs the blind faith in an alternative establishment reminds me if this whole religion thing ..

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast