Like Tree121Likes

AUKUS - China's worst nightmare?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    population coming in solid mid table
    Not sure I get this ... some context?

I remember back in 2016, Australia pissed off the Japanese because we were all set to buy Japanese subs and then suddenly the French swooped in. Now forget the French, we are going to the Americans

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKCN0XQ1FC

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/09/15/p...nes/index.html

hullexile and Jillypots like this.

Speaking as a submariner (retired) and being priveliged to serve with an Aussie skipper and Canadian navigator. Superb professionals one and all. The US tie in will not be for submarines. My guess is they will be offered the new Astute boats that the RN have. They are considered the best in the world and smaller the the US Virginia's. That means they can operate out of their present facilities. The US will supply the weapn systems because they use them already. Also some reactor technology used by Rolls Royce is US protected.

For me, it's the best thing that could happen. The Aussies have been politicing over Nuclear for decades and it's held them back. They will be operated by some of the most professional sailors on God's earth.

hullexile, bdw, Blowfish and 2 others like this.

Apparently is Aukus (Not AUUKUS). Sorry cant change the thread title

The French not very happy that US has undermined their existing deal with Aus. Also having a bit of a sulk they have been left out of this new acronym

"The American choice to exclude a European ally and partner such as France from a structuring partnership with Australia, at a time when we are facing unprecedented challenges (in the Indo-Pacific region) shows a lack of coherence that France can only note and regret," the statement said.
    New Zealand also telling Australia to keep your new toys well away from us, but still they are pretty cool as long as they are only pointed at China.

The decision also sparked tensions between New Zealand and Australia, with NZ Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern issuing a statement on Thursday saying Canberra's nuclear-powered submarines would be banned from her country's waters. However the statement added that New Zealand welcomed increased engagement by the UK and the US in the Asia Pacific region.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...western-allies

Don't think this is a game changer militarily - how many submarines is australia buying?

Forget if it was Peter Navarro or Mike Pence who was shameless enough to say US should export more weapons to improve the trade balance - seems they just won another export order at the expense of France.

Would it be easier just to build a few sub bases around the coastline of Australia, and let the yanks set up shop locally.

Last edited by emx; 16-09-2021 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle:
    Don't think this is a game changer militarily - how many submarines is australia buying?
    If your looking at the overall bigger picture, it's probably more important to note not what Australia is doing, but what the US is doing. This is Biden's move to assert US dominance in the region. This is what could be game changing. The US is bored with nothing to do after pulling out of Afghanistan, they have to find a new big 20 year project.

I thought US-China war was still 5-7 years away and we could squeeze in a few years of 'normal life' between pandemic and war. But not sure the effect of this announcement, combined with recent events in Afghanistan, if this has skewed the timeline now. But might be better while we are on a roll to just get the war over with sooner, then who knows maybe by 2030 or 2040 we can start have normal lives again?
    Jillypots likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    If your looking at the overall bigger picture, it's probably more important to note not what Australia is doing, but what the US is doing. This is Biden's move to assert US dominance in the region. This is what could be game changing. The US is bored with nothing to do after pulling out of Afghanistan, they have to find a new big 20 year project.

I thought US-China war was still 5-7 years away and we could squeeze in a few years of 'normal life' between pandemic and war. But not sure the effect of this announcement, combined with recent events in Afghanistan, if this has skewed the timeline now. But might be better while we are on a roll to just get the war over with sooner, then who knows maybe by 2030 or 2040 we can start have normal lives again?
    Another US general in the Philippines getting the full ceremonial treatment this week. Certainly seems the US is building/buying an alliance.

If I was China I would be concerned. I can only see Xi and the leadership getting more paranoid.

On the French subs, I think they are the ones the Philippines are planning to buy. Perhaps the price will come down?

Original Post Deleted
    That post deserves much more than a like

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Not sure I get this ... some context?
    Asutralia is a very midsized country.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast