Like Tree7Likes

Philippine waterfall deaths

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Not sure about down in Cebu but it is clear blue skies here. Looking at the video it looks very sunny there as well. So I am not sure it was caused by rain at that time.
    Could have been some release from a dam above, I don't know Cebu and know idea about the configuration there. Also note that here for example, it would rain in the mountain and then I go home and it hasn't been raining at all, very weird micro climate.

Not just in Hong Kong that waterfalls are dangerous, but this one comes from nowhere it seems. 2 dead, one missing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FN7OI_3KNAo
    Shocking video, but the music really seem a odd choice for the content in question.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Shocking video, but the music really seem a odd choice for the content in question.
    The drone video started before the tragedy and they haven't changed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Obviously you don’t know what you are talking about. Even if you can swim, there is not much chance to swim as there is no basin to swim in and the current will a. obstruct any swimmers’ movements and b. throw him against rocks
    Funny. I've surfed around some rather heavy currents & rip tides. Knowing how to swim actually helps when you're in water.

It's a tragedy swimming is not part of the national curriculum in this part of the world, but access to pools is limited I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by hongkongmusic:
    Funny. I've surfed around some rather heavy currents & rip tides. Knowing how to swim actually helps when you're in water.

It's a tragedy swimming is not part of the national curriculum in this part of the world, but access to pools is limited I understand.
    I belonged to a canoe club. We could all swim, were trained and wore buoyancy aids. Still two died in stopper waves. Looks like this would have been the case at the bottom of the waterfall. Not to.mention rocks etc.

So yes everyone should be able to swim but I am not sure it would have made any difference here

Quote Originally Posted by hongkongmusic:

Flash flood is nothing like a rip tide. You get thrown on or under the rocks, try swimming when you are knocked out. I used to live by the sea side where we had massive storms, rip tides are pretty easy to handle if you know what you are doing.

If you haven't seen a flash flood try going to the mountains when there is a big storm.
    hullexile and Coolboy like this.

RIP.

RIP. what's up with the background music?

Cebu. It is the rainy season and although it is sunny now we have had a lot of rain. But the speed of that I am wondering if a fallen tree or something had blocked the stream further up in the mountain and it suddenly cleared?
    Probably not. More likely it has rained heavily in an area far away from the waterfall and
    many small streams have carried the water in the same direction and merged at some point.