Like Tree14Likes

Maria Ressa, Rappler CEO - Joint Nobel Prize Winner

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Maria Ressa, Rappler CEO - Joint Nobel Prize Winner

Rappler CEO Maria Ressa and Russian journalist Dmitry Muratov were awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2021 on Friday, October 8, in an unprecedented recognition of journalism’s role in today’s world.

They won the prize “for their efforts to safeguard freedom of expression, which is a precondition for democracy and lasting peace.”

Ressa has been the target of attacks for her media organization’s critical coverage of President Rodrigo Duterte’s administration and a key leader in the global fight against disinformation.

This is the first Nobel Prize for a Filipino. In 2007, the Nobel Peace Prize went to former US Vice President Al Gore and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a team of climate scientists which included former Ateneo president Fr Jett Villarin.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...droidApp_Other

Original Post Deleted
    Not really bothered, but a sure sign of "it's not what you know but who you know". Rappler only got pulled up on two false stories this week, a good week for them. Next year it will go to Fox News.

Amusingly Rappler and the other media outlets can publish stories about how she won the award for fighting against Duterte's attack on press freedom with absolutely no fear of being censored.

Lol. Rappler has just had to pull their online election poll after it was shown that the votes for Robredo, who was miraculously leading having been behind in every other poll, were stuffed with non Filipino votes.

Name:  243484446_1029355564488945_8252441152984883120_n.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  38.3 KB

It really is trash.

In case you think this might not have been Rappler's doing a few hours earlier they were called our for hiding who had voted for Robredo. It was when they revealed the Robredo voters it became obvious they were foreigners.

https://politics.com.ph/mind-manipul...ongbong-leads/

And she just won the Nobel prize. I wonder what tomorrow's false story will be?

People take Facebook polls seriously?!?

Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    People take Facebook polls seriously?!?
    It just gets funnier.

Having been publicly caught out hiding the names of the Robredo voters, then when they were revealed having been publicly caught out having used fake voters to exaggerate her votes, they take the poll down.

They then issue a statement saying they took it down because such polls are crass and well below their high journalistic standards

There is a reason why Rappler is the least trusted media outlet in the Philippines according to Reuters and Oxford University polls, just constant bollocks. Still she has to please her backers.

Nobel prize for fiction

The prize for literature has already been given to a guy no one has heard of who has sold 3,000 copies of his book in the US.

You would have thought that after all the election drama on facebook over the last few years journalists and political parties would have figured this is not real polling.

Either that or there is a certain naivety involved thinking they can get away with this..

Oh well... I will stick with twitter polls for real trend spotting.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    You would have thought that after all the election drama on facebook over the last few years journalists and political parties would have figured this is not real polling.

Either that or there is a certain naivety involved thinking they can get away with this..

Oh well... I will stick with twitter polls for real trend spotting.
    One thing I do like to look at is the number of different reaction emojis on a political story. So a story comes up saying so and so is really doing a great job and is so popular then you look and there are 11k reactions of which 10k are the laughing emoji. Gives you a clue to what some people really think of that politician.

One thing that I have noticed is Marcos is getting a lot more positive than negative reactions. In a little story mentioning Marcos on a Facebook page for my city (which is not a Marcos stronghold) of 105 reactions 98 were positive. Not scientific but my feel is there is a lot of support out there.

There are a lot of angry journalists here

Name:  _20211015_201340.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  134.3 KB

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast