Like Tree40Likes

Marcos the next President of the Philippines?

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Biden has phoned Marcos to congratulate him on his win. America hassaid they are looking forward to working with him.

Marcos has said he can assure the Filipino people that relations with America will be much better now.

Remember how Marcos was supposedly the Manchurian candidate and a best friend of China?

Marcos has said he can assure the Filipino people that relations with America will be much better now.
    Sincere question, even though it sounds snarky.

How much hold do the Americans have on the Marcos family - considering where their wealth might be, possible leverage from previous wealth transfers etc?

I am surprised to think that he'd be considered pro-china. The US evacuated his family ... I don't think the Chinese could match that with any leverage they might have.

When Marcos went to China the US and China were best buddies.

...on a different note, I was expecting the covid numbers would rise after the election ala India, is it too soon to see some spike?

BTW I hope new government would best the past admins from 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Sincere question, even though it sounds snarky.

How much hold do the Americans have on the Marcos family - considering where their wealth might be, possible leverage from previous wealth transfers etc?

I am surprised to think that he'd be considered pro-china. The US evacuated his family ... I don't think the Chinese could match that with any leverage they might have.
    Yes the media repeatedly called him pro-China, China's preferred candidate. Political to scare people off voting for him. Clearly didn't work. It was based on him saying we needed to avoid war and work together productively.

Not sure if there is any of their money in America, though there is a contempt case outstanding.

The real pressure to be pro USA is internal, many of the military and civilian elite were educated there and have strong links.

If Ferdinand Marcos Jr. triumphs in the upcoming Philippines presidential election, he will wield broad powers over government agencies seeking to recover as much as $10 billion plundered by his namesake father during his autocratic rule.
    Antonio La Vina, professor of law and politics at the Ateneo de Manila University, is concerned this won’t happen. If Marcos wins, he said, then prosecutors and the PCGG will not pursue the pending court cases involving the family’s wealth for his entire presidential term.
    “For six years, cases will not move,” La Vina told Reuters, “so they will die a natural death.”
    Quite a long read
    https://www.reuters.com/investigates...arcos-fortune/

Back to the future...

https://youtu.be/ViYANtHJfss

hullexile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy SNK:
    You mean the hunt that has been going on for only 36 years might be slowed down? It would say that was a certainty

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    You posted a similar link six years ago and while the US has had Trump and riots on Capitol Hill, the UK still has an incompetent buffoon in charge and Hong Kong has replaced Lam with Lee, Duterte is peacefully retiring as the most popular President the Philippines has ever had.

In elections of "an international standard" to quote the US government, that show a "vibrant and strong democracy" from the Canadian government.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast