Like Tree340Likes

“Novaxx” Djokovic

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Djokovic is currently in his lawyers office in Melbourne, we are all waiting to see if the government accepts the court decision or they still try to kick him out of the country anyway

https://twitter.com/oliverbrown_tel/...062405121?s=20

Will look super petty if they try to kick him out again...

“Novaxx” Djokovic

Any Geoexpat Aussies - what’s going on with Novaxx? Last week it was all detention and “Rules are rules”, and this week he’s playing tennis in Australia?

Sorry - posted too soon! Wanted to ask if anyone could explain the rules and exemptions in simple terms? Thank you!

Not relevant to Aussie

Well, anyone can explain the rules and exemptions if they know. I thought there would have been more coverage in Australia, and therefore they might have a clearer understanding. But I’m happy to have it explained by anyone!

Bdw has excellent coverage here. https://geoexpat.com/forum/84/thread...ml#post3843392

also
    https://fedcourt.gov.au/__data/asset...by-the-ABF.pdf

https://twitter.com/afp/status/1480488673976147970

Summary

Novax supposedly had a second case of Covid in December, which put him within the 6 months time frame as advised by Tennis Australia to qualify for exemption, as certified by two independent panels of medical experts advising on the decision.

Politicians, when advised of the blowback after Novax advertised his exemption, then had his visa cancelled, on the grounds he must be vaccinated to enter Australia.

Rules might have been rules, as you put it (ignoring science, common sense, and his rights), but the judge ruled they didn’t follow the rules in cancelling his visa (decision given before he had exhausted his right to respond at certain deadline).

Therefore, the exemption was not relevant.

May the least biggest jerk win.

Last edited by AsianXpat0; 10-01-2022 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Added commentary
    Jillypots and Sage like this.

Yeah sorry been posting under the January global COVID thread, probably should be its own thread now.

It's not over yet, he won in court today but the government can still kick him out at their discretion if they so choose

https://7news.com.au/sport/tennis/no...visa-c-5252440

Jillypots likes this.

AsianExpat0 - thank you for guiding me to BDW’s excellent post. I should have checked to see if there was a thread already running. FYI - “Rules are rules” was a quote from Scott Morrison - I’m all for common sense.

BDW - I get that the visa refusal/cancellation has been overturned as they didn’t give him time to appeal - fair enough. But the facts don’t really stack up - his lawyers say it was 16/12 that his “first positive PCR test was recorded”. Why then was he out on 17/12, maskless, not social distancing, closely mixing with people in a large crowd? By Serbian law, he should have been self isolating for five days after receiving a positive PCR test.

Also, this interesting snippet from a paper: “……. his exemption from the vaccination requirement was was entirely in accordance with the rules set out by Tennis Australia. The relevant document, issued by Tennis Australia to all would-be competitors in the Open, states: ‘If you wish to have your medical exemption reviewed by the judgment panel, you will need to forward your application and supporting documentation urgently and no later than Friday December 10, 2021.’Those last ten words were printed in bold, for emphasis. So how was it possible for Novak Djokovic to have submitted a valid form by December 10, if his ‘qualifying’ infection (now over) was not first detected until December 16?

Very intriguing. Someone, somewhere, is being economical with the truth!

Last edited by Jillypots; 10-01-2022 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Jillypots:
    AsianExpat0 - thank you for guiding me to BDW’s excellent post. I should have checked to see if there was a thread already running. FYI - “Rules are rules” was a quote from Scott Morrison - I’m all for common sense.

BDW - I get that the visa refusal/cancellation has been overturned as they didn’t give him time to appeal - fair enough. But the facts don’t really stack up - his lawyers say it was 16/12 that his “first positive PCR test was recorded”. Why then was he out on 17/12, maskless, not social distancing, closely mixing with people in a large crowd? By Serbian law, he should have been self isolating for five days after receiving a positive PCR test.

Also, this interesting snippet from a paper: “……. his exemption from the vaccination requirement was was entirely in accordance with the rules set out by Tennis Australia. The relevant document, issued by Tennis Australia to all would-be competitors in the Open, states: ‘If you wish to have your medical exemption reviewed by the judgment panel, you will need to forward your application and supporting documentation urgently and no later than Friday December 10, 2021.’Those last ten words were printed in bold, for emphasis. So how was it possible for Novak Djokovic to have submitted a valid form by December 10, if his ‘qualifying’ infection (now over) was not first detected until December 16?

Very intriguing. Someone, somewhere, is being economical with the truth!
    Weren't the vaccination rules for joining the competition the vaccination rules for joining the competition. Immigration would have it's our rules that could as we have seen many times change with little notice.

Can't be bothered to read anymore into this.
    Coolboy likes this.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast