Like Tree24Likes

Flight Scare

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Curious George:
    I would be curious to hear more on that. What in comparison do they do differently? Any airline in the region that does an exceptional good job/ bad job?
    You mean like not missing an aircraft?

Quote Originally Posted by Curious George:
    I would be curious to hear more on that. What in comparison do they do differently? Any airline in the region that does an exceptional good job/ bad job?
    Besides the obvious MH370, we looked at the overall operations quality/maintenance records/pilots details/ flight emergencies frequencies/ etc.

I dont remember the details anymore.
    Curious George likes this.

I will never board a Boeing flight anymore that's for sure. Too many crashes/problems including the one that occured in China recently. Having aviophobia doesn't help also

Gladwell highlights the cultural and communicative factors in various aviation crashes. The Korean story and how they turned from troubled airlines to top ranked is quite interesting:

https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/outliers/section7/

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1988:
    I will never board a Boeing flight anymore that's for sure. Too many crashes/problems including the one that occured in China recently. Having aviophobia doesn't help also
    Not disputing your view, but just saying that might be difficult to put in practice, so you know. The commerical large jet market is divided between Boeing and Airbus. That means you at least have a 50-50 chance of getting on a Boeing each time you book a flight. So unless you are willing to put up with massive travel disruption and the cost to cancel and buy a new airline ticket, you might want to reconsider that.

P.S- Boeing certainly has fallen far in terms of their reputation (see Netflix's "Downfall", the documentary on the Max crashes and Boeing's culpability in that, for example). But in fairness, not every Boeing jet liner has such a chequered record. Boeing's 757, 767 and 777 are generally quite reliable and safe aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Not disputing your view, but just saying that might be difficult to put in practice, so you know. The commerical large jet market is divided between Boeing and Airbus. That means you at least have a 50-50 chance of getting on a Boeing each time you book a flight. So unless you are willing to put up with massive travel disruption and the cost to cancel and buy a new airline ticket, you might want to reconsider that.

P.S- Boeing certainly has fallen far in terms of their reputation (see Netflix's "Downfall", the documentary on the Max crashes and Boeing's culpability in that, for example). But in fairness, not every Boeing jet liner has such a chequered record. Boeing's 757, 767 and 777 are generally quite reliable and safe aircraft.
    You can generally see your aircraft before booking a ticket. I will try to make sure I choose Airbus though. And yeah I watched the documentary and Airbus literally sacrificed safety for money. I am not saying that boarding a Boeing is more dangerous but Boeing's image is at an all time low now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1988:
    You can generally see your aircraft before booking a ticket. I will try to make sure I choose Airbus though. And yeah I watched the documentary and Airbus literally sacrificed safety for money. I am not saying that boarding a Boeing is more dangerous but Boeing's image is at an all time low now.
    True, but for certain routes only serve by 1 (or 2) airline, you might not get the choice of different aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    Besides the obvious MH370, we looked at the overall operations quality/maintenance records/pilots details/ flight emergencies frequencies/ etc.

Got to have a bit of sympathy for them, both major incidents were out of their control. One was shot down by russian separatists, could have been any airliner and the other was seemingly orchestrated by one of the flight crew. There was nothing wrong with those two aircraft.

Obviously i am not disputing what you have said but i suspect there are shortcomings at most airlines.

In fact it seems the only other fatal accident they have had was caused by a hi-jacking so again not entirely their fault.

I am seeing a couple of other dangerous incidents which ended all well
    Last edited by Trebor; 12-04-2022 at 01:21 PM.
    shri likes this.

I think you are more likely to be killed by the taxi from your airport to the hotel and not an airline. Unless someone can show that taxi vs Air fatalities per 100K/pax is lower.

bdw and TheBrit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:

The Malaysia regulator was problematic. USA back in 2019 didn't want to add more Malaysian regulated flights...
    https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...ng-downgraded/

Also, it took 4+ years to get the root cause of major issue in Brisbane on Malaysian Air flight Similar to Korean Air - seniority ranks and don't question your superior...
    https://australianaviation.com.au/20...n-packed-a330/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast