Like Tree21Likes

Australian election

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Albo does seem like a humble guy. This morning was filmed leaving his modest Sydney home, locking the front door himself, putting the bins out, before being whisked into a convoy of SUV's, flight to Canberra, sworn in at 9am (7am HK time) in a rush before his flight to Tokyo to meet Biden. Penny Wong the new foreign minister accompanying him.

Liberals in turmoil. Morrison resigns as leader (as is customary when you lose) but retains the seat of Cook, so still in politics just sitting up the back somewhere. Josh Frydenberg (outgoing treasurer) would have been the natural shoe in for the leadership, and I think was a decent guy, except he lost his seat of Kooyong so has been completely kicked out of politics altogether. So Peter Dutton (outgoing defense minister) looks the frontrunner for the leadership now. He's the dickhead that is always stirring up shit and starting verbal wars with China.

Skyhook and hullexile like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Where does the 13% for One Nation come from? Here it says 4.95% but I know it depends on what is being reported.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022...deral_election
    I am curious that out of all the myriad of candidates that you in particular, plucked big red (Pauline Hanson) out or doesn't Australia+ or whatever the ABC calls themselves on the Asian OS cable networks these days, have anything better to do than highlight her?

But then again, maybe it's the inate, British cultural habit to find something to dislike to fuel a petty argument about?
    Also my figures were her native State based electorate as I live in Queensland, I wasn't speaking on behalf of the whole nation, but I might be one day *wink*.

Fortunately, Albo stole that opportunity as we couldn't have chosen a more moderate and genuinely nice man, than Mr Anthony Albanese, 31st Prime Minister of Australia.

Anyway, I recommend that a new leaf should be turned or read more about the many other candidates or smaller party's than just focus on her. It's what makes a proper functioning democracy interesting and how the peoples vote, counts and contributes to a change.
    @bdw
    My economics brainiac step mother, who just happens to work for the Victorian Education Department in an executive role and has for a couple of decades, is presently mourning Josh Frydenbergs, career ending, Kooyong defeat to a very well funded Teal independent, Dr Ryan ( thanks to Simon Holms a Court). Haha I love my family and its often passionate political discussions over our LARGE family dinner table. But always remember, the right 'old money', quietly got the job done *wink* and I hope the liberal Party learn this historical lesson.8
    Last edited by Skyhook; 23-05-2022 at 11:38 AM.
    bdw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I am curious that out of all the myriad of candidates that you in particular, plucked big red (Pauline Hanson) out or doesn't Australia+ or whatever the ABC calls themselves on the Asian OS cable networks these days, have anything better to do than highlight her?

But then again, maybe it's the inate, British cultural habit to find something to dislike to fuel a petty argument about?
    Also my figures were her native State based electorate as I live in Queensland, I wasn't speaking on behalf of the whole nation, but I might be one day *wink*.

Fortunately, Albo stole that opportunity as we couldn't have chosen a more moderate and genuinely nice man, than Mr Anthony Albanese, 31st Prime Minister of Australia.

Anyway, I recommend that a new leaf should be turned or read more about the many other candidates or smaller party's than just focus on her. It's what makes a proper functioning democracy interesting and how the peoples vote, counts and contributes to a change.
    @bdw
    My economics brainiac step mother, who just happens to work for the Victorian Education Department in an executive role and has for a couple of decades, is presently mourning Josh Frydenbergs, career ending, Kooyong defeat to a very well funded Teal independent, Dr Ryan ( thanks to Simon Holms a Court). Haha I love my family and it's often passionate political discussions over our LARGE family dinner table. But always remember, the right 'old money', quietly got the job done *wink* and I hope the liberal Party learn this historical lesson.
    If it is Dutton leading the liberals, thats just going to make things worse for them. It's a shame that Frydenberg won't be around, I think would have been a good opposition leader.

In my area in Western Australia (Tangney), we are all in shock, it was a safe blue seat held by Ben Morton (close friend of Morrison), now he's gone and replaced by Sam Lim, a dolphin trainer from Malaysia who moved to Australia and joined the WA police force. I'm quite happy for him, he also seems like a genuine and humble guy. The outgoing liberal (Morton) was a bit of a dickhead who spent all his time in Canberra on taxpayer money and was never around here.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-...y-mp/101089566

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...18-p5am88.html
    Skyhook likes this.

@bdw
    My economics brainiac step mother, who just happens to work for the Victorian Education Department in an executive role and has for a couple of decades, is presently mourning Josh Frydenbergs, career ending, Kooyong defeat to a very well funded Teal independent, Dr Ryan ( thanks to Simon Holms a Court). Haha I love my family and its often passionate political discussions over our LARGE family dinner table. But always remember, the right 'old money', quietly got the job done *wink* and I hope the liberal Party learn this historical lesson.8
    My strange interest is because my late, and very racist, neighbour was always (and I mean as in every day) going on about Hanson and One Nation and how they were going to win every election.

The PM's plane to Japan (formerly known as Shark One after Scomo's beloved Cronulla Sharks rugby team), tops the flight tracking websites at the moment

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work...ce33b2e645fda6

Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    My strange interest is because my late, and very racist, neighbour was always (and I mean as in every day) going on about Hanson and One Nation and how they were going to win every election.
    That's an interesting pathology that your neighbour had, I'm assuming they were Anglo Saxon with a bit of an Asiaphile thing going on, or they wouldn't have chosen to live where they did. Big Red is ancestrally English BTW. As I don't have a horse in that race, thanks to my Continental European ancestry but it does amuse me.

But things could have been much worse, we could have had a Marcos running our country, instead of an Albanese!

Centre left with some innovative but mainly middle of the road polices has won an election against a centre right party that was bereft of new ideas.

Winning
    With promises of giving money to
    - Health Care
    - Aged Care
    - Child Care
    - Disadvantaged Uni students
    - Car owners (electric)
    - Farmers (migrant worker schemes)
    - Rural Internet users

Continuation of Promises of
    - Tax Cuts
    - Larger Pensions
    - Illegal immigration tough stance (but softer language)

Innovative policy on housing where the government will chip in ~30% at the start with buy out options for later. This seems a really good policy to break the cycle of living in a state poverty / wealthlessness

Nice post election analysis from one liberal MP:

Scott Morrison should have resigned months ago, but instead strapped himself to the Liberal Party like a suicide bomber and blew the whole show up
    hullexile and Skyhook like this.

That's an interesting pathology that your neighbour had, I'm assuming they were Anglo Saxon with a bit of an Asiaphile thing going on, or they wouldn't have chosen to live where they did. Big Red is ancestrally English BTW. As I don't have a horse in that race, thanks to my Continental European ancestry but it does amuse me.

But things could have been much worse, we could have had a Marcos running our country, instead of an Albanese!
    He was the most ignorant person I have ever met (as in lack of even basic knowledge). Not representative of Australians.

Why does everything need to be a competition? As long as people are happy and look after each other.
    jgl likes this.

Albo is wearing a blue badge in Japan, to denotes his seniority as a Prime Minister. Apparently the Japanese are having trouble recognising who he is. Biden and Modi don't need the blue badges

Name:  Albo.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  90.2 KB

hullexile and HSY like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3