Like Tree292Likes

US Mass Shootings / Gun Control - News & Opinions

Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 30 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 7jai:
    I really enjoy travelling to the US and at one point in my life wanted to live there. There's just so much interesting things to do, eat, see. Also the post-secondary institutions there is still the most reknown in the world. The only reason why I never went was exactly because of this sort of violence. Yes, if you calculate probability the chances may be slim. But at the end of the day, do you want to leave your life to chance? Knowing well that US has a higher gun-to-people ratio? Knowing that systemically there are deep dividing issues in their culture, society, and people?

Some states are more pronounced than others.... but even if the more "developed" states like NY, Cali, etc. you can still see these situations happening on a nightly basis. Some reported on news more than others.

I think US has a serious problem that they need to figure out. I guess there are pros and cons to democracy.

FYI - I also noticed Canada this last decade following the lines of what the US is doing. Canada has become less safer than when I grew up there.
    Yes mass shootings are bad and just horrible. But the odds of getting involved in a mass shooting are about the same as an air conditioner falling on your head.

Quote Originally Posted by seirin:
    Yes mass shootings are bad and just horrible. But the odds of getting involved in a mass shooting are about the same as an air conditioner falling on your head.
    As already mentioned in my post, probability is slim. However comparing the odds to "air conditioners falling on people's head" is a bit much.

Happy to be proven wrong with some facts on a/c units falling and killing people? The US has published their numbers of how often gun violence and murders happen in their country.

Fact is that even if the odds are slim of getting injured by gun violence in the US, it's still 1 too many knowing that all this could've been prevented as it's a human being choosing to pull a trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by 7jai:
    Fact is that even if the odds are slim of getting injured by gun violence in the US, it's still 1 too many knowing that all this could've been prevented as it's a human being choosing to pull a trigger.
    There's some hyperbole but I'm glad you get my point. I'm not sure how preventable mental illness is though. Consider yourself lucky if you've never had to deal with someone with schizophrenia.

These days I walk with my eyes on top of my head.. can't help it, with the giant screen mishap, construction cranes toppling and ppl jumping off buildings.. so yest I saw whole bunch of ppl infront of building entrance, I was 😱😱

Turns out they filming some cab scene 😅

I support gun laws too but the mass shooting angle is v much an emotional one, hard to get gun restrictions/ban with it - taking away a common right when the % vs total gun deaths is small, doesn't actually address the real problem of why a person wld do this or really solve the accessibility point if we arguing for restrictions like registration.. If I had some uncontrollable rage at my teachers and classmates and made up my mind to kill them all, I'll find a way to get me an assault rifle no matter what..

So I'm jaded and expect snail progress on this based on with natural passing of time. Alternatively.. ;p

Quote Originally Posted by sarsi:
    ...This is why gun and other laws change so slowly cos nobody's gunning them down. All it takes is just 1 or 2 madmen gunning down politicians or shooting out a govt and we'll see if they react by putting more guards and security scanners. Pls, they will change the gun laws on our asses so fast before we know what hit us.

There's some hyperbole but I'm glad you get my point. I'm not sure how preventable mental illness is though. Consider yourself lucky if you've never had to deal with someone with schizophrenia.
    You make it sound like people who use guns to attack others all have some form of schizophrenia. That is not the case. Some people are simply bad people. I wouldn't blanket say they are all "not well in the head". That is like saying people who don't agree with your points are by default mentally well.

Go check CNN, another shooting in Florida today. Perhaps another "schizophrenia" person? Is that now the default excuse so they get less jail time?

Btw, there are many schizophrenia people in the world, and yet, how come we don't here as many mass shootings in other parts of the world. Go down to the Kowloon side in the poorer areas, you'll find plenty of mentally ill people there on the streets. You don't see them waving a gun in your face.
    hullexile likes this.

I hate to post again here, but yet another US shooting happened at MSU yesterday. RIP to the victims. This shooting could've gotten a lot worse as they found details of other shooting locations in the shooters backpack.

When will this ever end in the US....
    Andy SNK likes this.

The MSU shooting

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/02/16/u...day/index.html

Despite the latest clues, the motive for the mass shooting remains a mystery
    Sometimes you just know things are probably going to head nowhere repeat and rinse like before. He may not have gone to MSU but the fact he's doing this at a school campus says a lot already.

I think mass shootings like these are basically the same as your typical suicide attempts but a terrible one where you insist on bringing others along with you. The shooter usually isn't expecting to escape or even go to jail (if they do then of course they will try for insanity plea). It will always end with a shootout where they get shot to death or they will shoot themselves when cornered by police.

The US taking action on gun violence in schools!. With bulletproof classrooms

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...adf0de475c36f2

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    The US taking action on gun violence in schools!. With bulletproof classrooms
    I bet there is someone on the school board who has a relative involved in the supply of these classrooms... Atleast they're protecting the rights of the kids to carry firearms.

Most recent US school shooting with bonus extra fun twist. 28 year old former student, now transgender, shoots and kills 6 at private Christian elementary school. Shot dead by police, left huge manifesto, this will be endless rounds of analysis.

Surveillance video already released...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT3lZIFwhkU

Pics- some profile of her/him as a graphic designer says pronouns are he/him so honestly not sure...

Name:  AudreyHale.jpeg
Views: 166
Size:  517.0 KB

Last edited by MABinPengChau; 28-03-2023 at 04:57 PM.

Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 30 ... LastLast