Like Tree212Likes

US Mass Shootings / Gun Control - News & Opinions

Reply
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23
  1. #221

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    薄扶林
    Posts
    44,826

    39 mass shootings so far.. and we are still in January.

    Thoughts and prayers...

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...droidApp_Other


  2. #222

  3. #223

    Join Date
    Nov 2022
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    39 mass shootings so far.. and we are still in January.

    Thoughts and prayers...

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...droidApp_Other
    That’s more than one per day. Let that sink in.

  4. #224

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Faroe Islands
    Posts
    2,049

    If it will sink in it would have sunk in years ago

    woodwood likes this.

  5. #225

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    355

    I really enjoy travelling to the US and at one point in my life wanted to live there. There's just so much interesting things to do, eat, see. Also the post-secondary institutions there is still the most reknown in the world. The only reason why I never went was exactly because of this sort of violence. Yes, if you calculate probability the chances may be slim. But at the end of the day, do you want to leave your life to chance? Knowing well that US has a higher gun-to-people ratio? Knowing that systemically there are deep dividing issues in their culture, society, and people?

    Some states are more pronounced than others.... but even if the more "developed" states like NY, Cali, etc. you can still see these situations happening on a nightly basis. Some reported on news more than others.

    I think US has a serious problem that they need to figure out. I guess there are pros and cons to democracy.

    FYI - I also noticed Canada this last decade following the lines of what the US is doing. Canada has become less safer than when I grew up there.


  6. #226

    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by 7jai:
    I really enjoy travelling to the US and at one point in my life wanted to live there. There's just so much interesting things to do, eat, see. Also the post-secondary institutions there is still the most reknown in the world. The only reason why I never went was exactly because of this sort of violence. Yes, if you calculate probability the chances may be slim. But at the end of the day, do you want to leave your life to chance? Knowing well that US has a higher gun-to-people ratio? Knowing that systemically there are deep dividing issues in their culture, society, and people?

    Some states are more pronounced than others.... but even if the more "developed" states like NY, Cali, etc. you can still see these situations happening on a nightly basis. Some reported on news more than others.

    I think US has a serious problem that they need to figure out. I guess there are pros and cons to democracy.

    FYI - I also noticed Canada this last decade following the lines of what the US is doing. Canada has become less safer than when I grew up there.
    Yes mass shootings are bad and just horrible. But the odds of getting involved in a mass shooting are about the same as an air conditioner falling on your head.

  7. #227

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by seirin:
    Yes mass shootings are bad and just horrible. But the odds of getting involved in a mass shooting are about the same as an air conditioner falling on your head.
    As already mentioned in my post, probability is slim. However comparing the odds to "air conditioners falling on people's head" is a bit much.

    Happy to be proven wrong with some facts on a/c units falling and killing people? The US has published their numbers of how often gun violence and murders happen in their country.

    Fact is that even if the odds are slim of getting injured by gun violence in the US, it's still 1 too many knowing that all this could've been prevented as it's a human being choosing to pull a trigger.

  8. #228

    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by 7jai:
    Fact is that even if the odds are slim of getting injured by gun violence in the US, it's still 1 too many knowing that all this could've been prevented as it's a human being choosing to pull a trigger.
    There's some hyperbole but I'm glad you get my point. I'm not sure how preventable mental illness is though. Consider yourself lucky if you've never had to deal with someone with schizophrenia.

Reply
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23