Like Tree29Likes

Queen's Platinum Jubilee Concert Online

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Original Post Deleted
    Are you anti all hereditarial advantages in governance systems?

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journ...3F7EC4312CEEB2

Original Post Deleted
    Apologies. Of the 40+ countries that have hereditary head of state you could have chosen you choose and portrayed ones that seemed to dislike the concept of heredity transfer of power. So the transfer of large swaths of power to princelings is fine? G W Bush's unfair advantages in elections were OK?

Anyway back to the party
    Name:  jubilee-party-1-data.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  1.69 MB

Quote Originally Posted by bsh:
    Shame they didn’t get Robbie Williams or even Adele to front with Queen.
    That might have been a crowd pleaser but I suspect the Queen had a say in who she would like to see perform. Judging by YouTube clips I’ve seen of Rod and Ross she might regret some of the choices. Feel sorry for Ross. First live performance in eons and was clearly angling for help (she was trying to fiddle with something when she wasn’t singing) and I don’t think the audio set up did her any favours at all.

Also saw the BBC coverage of the fly past. Shocking commentary. It’s almost as if they were watching a different fly past. I might watch it again with another media coverage.

Original Post Deleted
    In the vast majority of cases sovereign roles and their associated privileged classes are hereditary and the paper I linked showed possibly similar traits in states with no monarch. I would argue passing on titular duties is probably the lowest cost option while having a system that gives unfair advantage to family members of the inner circle is not the best system be it the US, Canada or other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    That might have been a crowd pleaser but I suspect the Queen had a say in who she would like to see perform. Judging by YouTube clips I’ve seen of Rod and Ross she might regret some of the choices. Feel sorry for Ross. First live performance in eons and was clearly angling for help (she was trying to fiddle with something when she wasn’t singing) and I don’t think the audio set up did her any favours at all.

Also saw the BBC coverage of the fly past. Shocking commentary. It’s almost as if they were watching a different fly past. I might watch it again with another media coverage.
    I suspect the organisers were just playing to the crowd. Rod Stewart fans are probably quite royalist - due to demographics.

I’ve just watched the Queen opening set again. I can’t think of anyone other than Lambert that would make it work as well as he has. He never set out to replace Freddie (no one can) but with his voice and presence and the enviable talents of Taylor and May it’s a concert I would go to. There’ll come a day far too soon where it can’t happen. Just to see May playing is a minor miracle in itself. The grin on his face was fantastic. I’ve watched a few of his clips on YouTube on the guitar and much much more. Rare to see such a grounded individual considering the band life he’s had.

Pauljoecoe likes this.