Like Tree54Likes

Roe V Wade - Overturned

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

They do this to get closer to their real goal - zero abortion rights. This is just one of those things without a happy compromise because you disagree on the core value. At best an uneasy truce, and tables will flip whenever there is a power change.

I don't have a better solution but I think it is unwise to continue fronting the legal/consti fight using child/rape/medical cases as the key points. They have never been swayed by it but we keep using them as trump cards expecting something to change. I don't know if anyone is getting the same vibe but their responses over the years esp on the child front seem increasingly dismissive and hostile.

Quote Originally Posted by HSY:
    They do this to get closer to their real goal - zero abortion rights. This is just one of those things without a happy compromise because you disagree on the core value. At best an uneasy truce, and tables will flip whenever there is a power change.

I don't have a better solution but I think it is unwise to continue fronting the legal/consti fight using child/rape/medical cases as the key points. They have never been swayed by it but we keep using them as trump cards expecting something to change. I don't know if anyone is getting the same vibe but their responses over the years esp on the child front seem increasingly dismissive and hostile.
    Who are "they"? There are plenty of people in the "allowed for rape/incest/medical grounds" position.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Looks like the conservative / evangelical agenda is now nearly complete...

Yay to guns though..

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, ending 50 years of federal abortion rights

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/24/roe-...ndroidappshare
    Yes,Yay to guns

Guns to protect oneself from murder

And abortion bans to prevent murder because abortion is murder

The two are totally logically coherent and there's no contradiction there at all

First statewide vote ...

Kansas voters on Tuesday overwhelmingly struck down a proposed constitutional amendment that would remove language enshrining reproductive rights in their state, in a move widely seen as a victory for abortion rights activists.

The proposed amendment was the first time anywhere in the U.S. that voters cast ballots on abortion since the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade in June.

A ballot question, known as the “Value Them Both Amendment,” asked voters to decide whether the state’s Constitution should continue to protect abortion rights. The proposed amendment to the state Constitution would have removed language that guarantees reproductive rights and asked voters if they prefer to put the issue of abortion in the hands of the state’s Republican-controlled legislature — an outcome that abortion advocates said was all but certain to result in the elimination or curtailment of those rights.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...tate-rcna40550
    Baklava likes this.

Weird shit ..

Lauren Groh-Wargo, manager of Stacey Abrams’s campaign for Georgia governor, tweeted: “So what happens when you claim your fetus as a dependent and then miscarry later in the pregnancy, you get investigated both for [possible] tax fraud and an illegal abortion?”
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...pendents-fetus
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Yeah, a pregnant woman was driving in the carpool lanes as well, saying the fetus counted as a person so she should get the carpool benefit. It's going to be strange for a long time...

hike likes this.

So I guess many/most republicans think it's important to protect the unborn child but not so much once they are born?

https://www.axios.com/2022/05/26/gun...ildren-america

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7