Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hullexile
  • 1 Post By ByeByeEngland

Our western political systems need to change

Our western political systems need to change

I stumbled upon Michael Douglas's anti corruption political video and have to agree with what he says. Looking at even our political system in Australia, America sneezed and we definitely caught their cold.

We seem to have been infected with the very same vested interests that seem to all pulling our collective puppet strings. I agree with many of the changes mentioned later in the video, especially when we pull the Republic trigger again and rewrite our constitution to be as legally robust as America's.

Be it the UK, France, Australia or New Zealand, we all seem to be suffering similar political/economic dysfunction that isn't in the best interests of majority of voters but a small percentage of wealthy conservatives that don't like competition while hoarding their wealth and property.

What are your thoughts about what changes you'd like your government to adopt.

https://youtu.be/tGQgcHMIq1g

Identifying the problems is much easier than coming up with alternatives that don't have their own problems. Is there a good system out there?

qhank likes this.

I think some of the European countries have good systems, by comparison to the likes of the US or the UK anyway. There's a lot to be said for coalitions - compromise and tempers the extremes.

I can't come up with any recommendations.

The one thing I would say about the UK Parliament over the last 30 years is that they are at least trying to deal with sleaze, expense fiddles, external financial influences etc and those that try to beat the system are almost always found out in the end. I'm not a fan of PR as the solution for the UK. A government needs to make decisions (rightly or wrongly) and PR seems to me to lead to compromise and fall short measures. The House of Lords is also flawed but as a checks and balances unit does have the power to push items back to the Commons (Brexit comes immediately to mind for that). I'd actually like to see an elected 2nd chamber but good luck for anyone trying to get that right.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...atic-countries

Skyhook likes this.

Don't worry Prince Harry has given a speech at the UN saying that world democracy is under threat. Next week President Xi will speak of the need for free and fair elections.

Western systems favour inner-city woke leftists amassing fortunes from laptop jobs and consulting scams mentioning the word 'green' or 'sustainable', and who dominate well-paid, no-work-required publicly-funded occupations. They are now busy driving their countries into economic suicide via energy poverty.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    Western systems favour inner-city woke leftists amassing fortunes from laptop jobs and consulting scams mentioning the word 'green' or 'sustainable', and who dominate well-paid, no-work-required publicly-funded occupations. They are now busy driving their countries into economic suicide via energy poverty.
    Yes I can see that the Tory candidates for PM fit that description

No idea what the video is about, because I don't watch YT speeches than can probably be condensed in text form, but if it talks about political lobbying as a legal industry, yeah, that massively distorts government and should be severely curtailed.