Like Tree9Likes

Where does your UK hometown rank?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where does your UK hometown rank?

I grew up in one of the named towns (somewhere in the middle)

God, I got out of there as soon as I could!

Hull up to 24th!

Surprised to see Leeds in there, yes there are some shit parts but a vibrant city.

markranson likes this.

...makes HK (or other places) look like a better place to stay & live in - i guess

Quote Originally Posted by mengfei:
    ...makes HK (or other places) look like a better place to stay & live in - i guess
    Depends where HK would fit on the list and your level of income living there. Slough is shite whatever but I would rather live in a nice part of Leeds than HK on the same disposable income. Or Hull.
    markranson likes this.

That's a strange list. Aylesbury as the worst place? FFS. Yes, Plymouth definitely deserves to be on there.... but Axminster? Axminster is a lovely little town!

hullexile likes this.

Well I lived in no 41 - Barnsley, when I was 22 for 7 year.s . Quite enjoyed my time there.

Studied at Huddersfield (no 2!!) for 3 years in the 80's . My memories of it were great!

Worked in Doncaster for 7 years (no 46) - it has some very nice areas/villages and a racecourse.

I now live a few junctions down the motorway from Luton (3) but have mainly only been there for the airport. Did go to the hospital there recently and I must admit it, and the area around it is a dump!

Miriam Margolyes (British actress) explores some of the "Shit towns of Australia":

https://youtu.be/1rVH4SeSIMo

There is also a monthly power ranking:

Name:  STOA.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  176.8 KB

ArrynField likes this.

Not sure how accurate this is though 110,000 members isn’t too shabby. My home town (now a City) of Southend doesn’t feature. It’s still a London day tripper hotspot and the seafront has come on leaps and bounds from where it was 20 years ago but the High Street is desecrated and is a no go area after 6pm unless drugs are your thing. Jaywick is on the list and rightly so. It’s scandalous how landlords there are continued to get away with things. The other way of looking at that is it concentrates a lot of low lifes in one area but amongst all that is the usual underprivileged and needy.

Aside from watching football (badly timed this trip) the closest I get to Southend is visiting my parents on the outskirts.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Hull up to 24th!

Surprised to see Leeds in there, yes there are some shit parts but a vibrant city.
    I've been in Leeds for the past few months and... yeah, it's clickbait
    hullexile likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast